A Bielefelder Thread !

Please tell me how you do this. My sister swears killing roosters isn't worth it. Says they are tough and have no meat on their bones.

And one more recipe. We had this last night and it's awesome!

Ingredients
· 1 teaspoon paprika
· 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
· 1 teaspoon garlic salt
· 1 teaspoon dried parsley
· 1 teaspoon dried marjoram

· 1 cup red wine
· 4 stalks celery, cut in half
· 1 onion, quartered
· 1 (4 pound) whole chicken
Directions

1. Preheat an oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). Combine the paprika, black pepper, garlic salt, parsley, and marjoram in a small bowl. Pour the red wine into a roasting pan with lid; set aside.
  2. Place the celery and quartered onions into the cavity of the chicken. Rub the chicken with the reserved spice mixture, and set into the roasting pan.
  3. Cover, and bake the chicken in the preheated oven until no longer pink at the bone and the juices run clear, 4 to 5 hours. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone should read 180 degrees F (82 degrees C). Remove the chicken from the pan, cover with a doubled sheet of aluminum foil, and allow to rest in a warm area for 10 minutes before serving.

I should also mention that I don't typically cull my birds until they're 18+ weeks old, and I'm breeding an entire line of meat birds based primarily on Naked Neck Turkens. The breed does make a difference.

Please tell me how you do this. My sister swears killing roosters isn't worth it. Says they are tough and have no meat on their bones.

Oh...and brine that bird for at least three days! My toughest bird was over 8 months old. I brined him for an entire week and then dry rubbed and slow roasted him for 4.5 hours. Outstanding meat!

Okay...here's one of my favorite recipes. The trick is low and slow...

My Favorite Roast Chicken Recipe

Okay....you have to thoroughly salt and pepper the inside and outside of a dry heritage 5-lb chicken and let it air dry in the fridge for at least 24 hours. Take the chicken out of the fridge for at least 30 minutes prior to roasting so it can reach room temperature. Preheat the oven to 250 °F.

Stuff the chicken with lemon quarters, a bunch of fresh thyme, and 1 head of garlic that you’ve separated into cloves, but left the papery skin on. Put the stuffed bird breast-side up in your chosen roasting pan or rack with the feet facing the rear of the oven and roast for 3 hours or until the bird reaches an internal temp of 155°F.

Close to the end of the roasting period, mix 2 TBSP raw honey with ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil and 1 cup fruity white wine in a small saucepan and heat enough to allow the honey to melt into the other liquids.

Remove the chicken from the oven and increase the temp to 475 °F. Separate about 3 TBSP of your honey wine mixture from the pan and brush or pour it over the chicken, and then return the chicken to the hotter oven for another 10 minutes or until the skin is thoroughly browned.

Remove the chicken and let it rest for 15 minutes before carving. Meanwhile, cook down the remaining sauce mixture until it’s slightly syrupy.

Carve up your chicken and pour the sauce over each serving. If you want you can squeeze some of the lemon quarters or smear some of the garlic cloves on the chicken as well. DELISH!

I've also substituted oranges for the lemons and turned the wine into a 1/2 cup orange juice + 1/2 cup fruity white wine mimosa. REALLY good orange chicken. The meat just falls off the bone and the sauce is stellar.
This is what I kind of do with my store bought chickens, at least a little. I use about thirty cloves of garlic stuffed under the skin, lemon slices under the breast skin and fresh rosemary. I put in on a stand, the skin gets crisp all around. The pan juices with good bread will make you slap your grandma. My sister doesn't like to cook so that could be part of the problem. I am going to try this just as soon as I find someone to kill one of my chickens!
lau.gif
Your recipe sounds amazing...... can't wait to try it!

Something is wrong with the Ovation thumbs up but I will come back to it. Thank you all for the great recipes and suggestions.

This is what I kind of do with my store bought chickens, at least a little. I use about thirty cloves of garlic stuffed under the skin, lemon slices under the breast skin and fresh rosemary. I put in on a stand, the skin gets crisp all around. The pan juices with good bread will make you slap your grandma. My sister doesn't like to cook so that could be part of the problem. I am going to try this just as soon as I find someone to kill one of my chickens!
lau.gif
Your recipe sounds amazing...... can't wait to try it!

I tried using a chicken stand once with the soda can center of water but there was too much mess in my oven so I went back to the old-fashioned covered roaster method. The chicken tasted great with the crispier skin but I hate oven messes - lazy me!

I tried using a chicken stand once with the soda can center of water but there was too much mess in my oven so I went back to the old-fashioned covered roaster method. The chicken tasted great with the crispier skin but I hate oven messes - lazy me!
Mine is a Spanek. No mess, no liquid in a can. I do put some broth in the bottom of the skillet. Start the oven at 425 for 15 minutes and then back to 350

Are you talking about on the chicks? Eventually the white spot is replaced by their mature feathers, which are lighter than the females'. The males carry a lot more white/silver than the females in general.

yes, that head spot on male chicks. so then silver really is in the bielefelders? and has not been added recently via outside genetics? so we could possibly find a sport that would pop up sooner or later?

Back
Top Bottom