A Bielefelder Thread !

It was recently pointed out to me that my rooster may need more hens. I am getting different numbers from different places and since it can depend on the breed I thought I would ask here! Any opinions on what a safe number of hens is? Right now I have one rooster and four hens.

If I want to make sure I have fertile eggs for hatching, I keep a ratio of about 10 hens to 1 rooster. Since I have found my Bielefelder roos to be fairly mild mannered, I have successfully been able to keep 3 roos together, even a mix of breeds, with about 15-20 hens. That's about an average of 5-7 hens per roo.

I would say watch their behaviors. The fewer hens you have, the more they will be mounted. If they try to constantly run away from the roo, are acting afraid, or their feathers are getting worn in the saddle area, you may need more hens. Then there are times when the roos just have favorites and it doesn't matter how many hens you have. He'll stick with the same few hens and you'll have to put coverings on them.

You'd be safe to add more hens if you are able to, even other breeds would work in fine. I've had Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshires, Easter Eggers, Barred Rocks, White Rocks and Orpingtons in with my Bielefelders.

Have fun!

Thank you, very helpful information. Right now he's the only Bielefelder, but if I need more hens I think I'm going to try to get more. I really love the temperament of the breed (and how pretty they are of course)!

Bielefelder have become so popular that a number of hatcheries are selling them this year (Hoovers, Murray Mcmurray, Valley Farms, Cackle maybe others.)
After buying shipped eggs for the last 3 years with spotty success. I bought my little flock from Cackle for $3.65 each - straight run - for April delivery. Far more economical than hatching your own.
They may not be breeder quality, but that is not important to me. :jumpy
I have 3 pullets I hatched last spring, now I hopefully will have a few cockerels too.

Very much looking forward to receiving my 35 Bielefelder chicks from Murray McMurray Hatchery that is due to be shipped out the first week of March. 🐣🐣🐣 🙂👍

Attachments

• IMG_20210211_152916.png
    IMG_20210211_152916.png
    120.4 KB · Views: 20

Back
Top Bottom