A Bielefelder Thread !

I just got a pretty speckled egg, i read that speckled eggs are a defect though, prettiest defect I've ever saw.
big_smile.png

Shoot, I'm all for trying to breed to SOP, but that is one GORGEOUS egg! I LOVE it when one of my EEs gives me a speckled egg and hers is no where near as pretty as yours! Wonder how speckled eggs could be a defect for show as the judge certainly wouldn't see it and I wonder why it could possibly be a defect?????

Shoot, I'm all for trying to breed to SOP, but that is one GORGEOUS egg! I LOVE it when one of my EEs gives me a speckled egg and hers is no where near as pretty as yours! Wonder how speckled eggs could be a defect for show as the judge certainly wouldn't see it and I wonder why it could possibly be a defect?????
I read it could be a defect because of "Stress or disturbance during calcification process; Poor nutrition, for example excess calcium in the hen's diet." I read that from a few different websites, I think maybe that only counts for hens that don't normally lay speckled eggs. My eggs so far have not been speckled, but i don't think its because of a defect, i think maybe its because bieles were made from a hen that naturally lays specked eggs. So maybe that gene just sometimes pops back up from time to time.

They might, ill just keep an eye* on them. I tried to get a picture but they are hard to see and he isn't very still. He gas quite of few of the little greenish spots. I can barely see them in the picture.
I magnified the picture and could see the spots but if I liked him I would still breed him to nice hens unless the green began to take over.

I just got a pretty speckled egg, i read that speckled eggs are a defect though, prettiest defect I've ever saw.
big_smile.png

I think it's a pretty egg. My bieles' eggs look very similar. The speckles are very close together & evenly spaced so you have to look at it very closely to see the speckles. From a normal distance, it just looks like a dark brown egg. Here's a super close up. (Sorry about the shadows) I think only the eggs that occasionally get freckles are considered defects. I believe some breeds are supposed to lay speckled eggs. What I don't know is if bieles are one of those.

I think it's a pretty egg. My bieles' eggs look very similar. The speckles are very close together & evenly spaced so you have to look at it very closely to see the speckles. From a normal distance, it just looks like a dark brown egg. Here's a super close up. (Sorry about the shadows) I think only the eggs that occasionally get freckles are considered defects. I believe some breeds are supposed to lay speckled eggs. What I don't know is if bieles are one of those.
Well that makes sense! And that is a really, really pretty egg! So I guess my occasional speckled egg layer is a defect (don't exactly know which of 5 hens she is), but that's okay by me as the eggs are delicious anyhow and the hens charming!!!!!!

There's a very wide range of "brown"
Here's a brown egg from a barnyard mix (possible Sussex) It has a light colored blume & if you look at it closely, you can see white pores. The blume sometimes makes the eggs look pinkish.

Here's another Biele egg. Must enlarge it to see the speckles. The color is way off due to fluorescent lights.

My daughter entered her eggs in the county fair. She wanted to show the beautiful variety of colors we get: (cream, pink, blue, green-blue, olive, red-brown, brown, tan, & dark brown speckled; in short everything but white.) She was told that the eggs had to be all the same size, shape, & color. Since we had 2 EEs & they were laying the best, she entered a dozen green eggs. She won a blue ribbon, but green eggs all by themselves just don't look very appetizing.

Here's a pic from a few days before the fair. Just hoping to have enough eggs gathered in time.

Only "chicken people" can understand how exciting it is to get those 1st eggs. We like to be able to write the hen's name & date laid on each egg. My kids always request whose eggs they want to eat. When we have extras in spring we sell eggs. Everyone chuckles about the labels, but then they return to catch a glimpse of the hen(s) who provided their breakfast.

Here's a brown egg from a barnyard mix (possible Sussex) It has a light colored blume & if you look at it closely, you can see white pores. The blume sometimes makes the eggs look pinkish.

Here's another Biele egg. Must enlarge it to see the speckles. The color is way off due to fluorescent lights.

My daughter entered her eggs in the county fair. She wanted to show the beautiful variety of colors we get: (cream, pink, blue, green-blue, olive, red-brown, brown, tan, & dark brown speckled; in short everything but white.) She was told that the eggs had to be all the same size, shape, & color. Since we had 2 EEs & they were laying the best, she entered a dozen green eggs. She won a blue ribbon, but green eggs all by themselves just don't look very appetizing.

Here's a pic from a few days before the fair. Just hoping to have enough eggs gathered in time.

Only "chicken people" can understand how exciting it is to get those 1st eggs. We like to be able to write the hen's name & date laid on each egg. My kids always request whose eggs they want to eat. When we have extras in spring we sell eggs. Everyone chuckles about the labels, but then they return to catch a glimpse of the hen(s) who provided their breakfast.

What beautiful photos and what FUN it must be for your daughter to compete! I had no idea that one could do so, REALLY cool!!!!!

Here's a brown egg from a barnyard mix (possible Sussex)  It has a light colored blume & if you look at it  closely, you can see white pores.  The blume sometimes makes the eggs look pinkish.
Here's another Biele egg.  Must enlarge it to see the speckles.  The color is way off due to fluorescent lights.  

My daughter entered her eggs in the county fair.  She wanted to show the beautiful variety of colors we get: (cream, pink, blue, green-blue, olive, red-brown, brown, tan, & dark brown speckled;  in short everything but white.)  She was told that the eggs had to be all the same size, shape, & color.  Since we had 2 EEs & they were laying the best, she entered a dozen green eggs.  She won a blue ribbon, but green eggs all by themselves just don't look very appetizing.

Here's a pic from a few days before the fair.  Just hoping to have enough eggs gathered in time.

Only "chicken people" can understand how exciting it is to get those 1st eggs.  We like to be able to write the hen's name & date laid on each egg.  My kids always request whose eggs they want to eat.  When we have extras in spring we sell eggs.  Everyone chuckles about the labels, but then they return to catch a glimpse of the hen(s) who provided their breakfast. 

I miss my cream legbar hens because of their beautiful blue eggs. I wish my little wheaten ameraucana would start laying so we will have them again soon. We used to have such a pretty variation, now we just have brown and cream.

When our BCMs start to lay I am anxious to see how dark their eggs are.

I agree, only chicken people understand this.

Before we downsized a ton our kitchen counter looked like this

We used to have way too many to keep so I'd always give them away and enjoyed mixing the colors in the little 1 dozen cartons. I don't think anyone we gave them to was half as excited as I was though!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom