A Bielefelder Thread !

I miss my cream legbar hens because of their beautiful blue eggs. I wish my little wheaten ameraucana would start laying so we will have them again soon. We used to have such a pretty variation, now we just have brown and cream.
When our BCMs start to lay I am anxious to see how dark their eggs are.

I agree, only chicken people understand this.

Before we downsized a ton our kitchen counter looked like this

We used to have way too many to keep so I'd always give them away and enjoyed mixing the colors in the little 1 dozen cartons. I don't think anyone we gave them to was half as excited as I was though!
Oh that sounds like us! Sometimes our daughter arranges them by color in the fridge. So much fun!

I miss my cream legbar hens because of their beautiful blue eggs. I wish my little wheaten ameraucana would start laying so we will have them again soon. We used to have such a pretty variation, now we just have brown and cream.

We used to have way too many to keep so I'd always give them away and enjoyed mixing the colors in the little 1 dozen cartons. I don't think anyone we gave them to was half as excited as I was though!
Were you a fan of the cream legbars in comparison to the Biels? I was considering a couple.

I like the CCLs. They have a very unique appearance with those poofy heads & pretty coloration. Blue eggs are fun too. If you only want colored eggs, EEs are far cheaper & easy to find anywhere. I found that the blue layers tend to take the winters off.

Both CCLs & Bieles are 2-faced. Meaning that they can look either beautiful or ugly depending on the camera angle. My Bieles are calmer & more prone to cuddling. CCLs will jump into a lap for treats. Both are middle of pecking order, curious, & will peck at freckles. Bieles don't leave the ground often, but a CCL may hop up onto a low branch 3 ft off the ground.

Pretty

Pretty

scary & grumpy

Were you a fan of the cream legbars in comparison to the Biels? I was considering a couple.

Overall they weren't the worst breed we have had. The Bresse were probably the worst, but no I didn't really care for the legbars. Especially compared to the bielefelders.

It's all personal preference but they're much smaller in general and honestly majority of our roosters were total jerks. We had 10 roos and 8 hens at one point and none of our roos were friendly, with some being downright terrible.

We got ours direct from Greenfire and a couple were the Jill Rees line but the rest were different. I would probably have a couple hens again if the opportunity presented itself but I'd never try to breed them or involve myself with them the way we do with the biels.

Last edited:

What breed are the dark three at the bottom of the photo? ALL of your eggs are GORGEOUS!!!

Awesome egg collection! Love them all but those blues reply stand out.

What breed are the dark three at the bottom of the photo?  ALL of your eggs are GORGEOUS!!!

Thank you:)
They were from one of our black copper marans we used to have! They weren't "breed standard" looks wise, lots of white feathers, but they did produce a nice looking egg! We have them to a friend and I regret it, we should have kept them solely for their eggs!

Awesome egg collection! Love them all but those blues reply stand out.

Thank you:) I don't know why the coloring on that photo looks odd, I have a picture of them in natural light.

Excuse the bandaid, my son is in charge of the bandaid selection around here.
I hope my wheaten ameraucana will lay eggs similar, we got her from Kat Ladue who has hens that lay gorgeous colored eggs.

Last edited:
Thanks, FRF! I didn't know if the eggs were from BCMarans or Welsummers. And I do agree - while I'd like to have my girls be as close to their particular standard as possible, the end result is the egg!!!!!!

Thanks, FRF! I didn't know if the eggs were from BCMarans or Welsummers. And I do agree - while I'd like to have my girls be as close to their particular standard as possible, the end result is the egg!!!!!!
I totally agree that the end result is the egg.

No one wanted to co-operate on picture day.
I have... 8(?) cockerels and only 3 pullets. These guys are almost 5 months now. I have no idea who to keep, but I did notice one of the cockerels has a partial white tail feather, so he will be going. Some have not so appealing combs.

Back
Top Bottom