A Bielefelder Thread !

There was some discussion awhile back about the Biels eggs having a faint speckled pattern and whether that was a defect. Maybe it's anecdotal, but I've noticed now that my Biel that took 8+ months to develop lays perfectly solid color eggs while the others that started at 6 months lay speckled eggs. Some have a very noticeable speckling, lighter but similar to Welsummer eggs. At about 10 months, I'm getting 5-6 eggs per week out of each of them.

Mine did start laying early, and they also lay a lot of eggs. I think they lay to many eggs, and that there isn't enough time to add color as they make their way out.

My birds are almost 6 months old now. Knowing my luck, they will start laying in Feb/Mar. The boys are crowing but no other signs of maturity. I'm very anxiously waiting for that first egg!

I had thought one of my cockerels had wry tail. He does, but it's a deformity in his back/hips. I noticed he was more round in one hip and flat on the other. For the last 2 days he has gone downhill unexpectedly. He just lays on the ground. He's moving around and never in the same spot when I go out to check on him, but he's losing weight and seems unable to walk now. He was a cull, but he was healthy other than his physical appearance being off. I was hoping to put him in the freezer next year. I believe I will have to cull him earlier - it's the one part of this hobby I take no pleasure in.

ETA: He was up and moving yesterday! While he has had the physical 'deformity', I am wondering if coming down off the 2' high roost didn't mess things up for him. He's still a cull. I'll just have to see what his quality of life will be and decide when his day will come.

Last edited:
I took some pics of the little ones yesterday! They are very cute. These chicks are not fancy or exotic. They seem very hardy, stout and practical in their camouflage feathers. Pepper (cat) loves to get in the nesting box and survey the realm. There were no chickens here when I rescued her from the dump. She does a very good job of differentiating between wild rats, birds, mice and the chickens.She kills something almost every day but as tempted as she is..... she does nothing more than stalk and scare the chickens a little. Sometimes she surrounded by chickens. Think how hard that must be for a hunter!

Last edited:
I took some pics of the little ones yesterday! They are very cute. These chicks are not fancy or exotic. They seem very hardy, stout and practical in their camouflage feathers. Pepper (cat) loves to get in the nesting box and survey the realm. There were no chickens here when I rescued her from the dump. She does a very good job or differentiating between wild rats, birds, mice and the chickens.She kills something almost every day but as tempted as she is..... she does nothing more than stalk and scare the chickens a little. Sometimes she surrounded by chickens. Think how hard that must be for a hunter!

I think they are beautiful! How old are they now? The big one is a cockerel, right?

I think they are beautiful! How old are they now? The big one is a cockerel, right?
Thank you..... some are are 8 weeks and some are closer to 6 weeks. The cockerel is one of the youngest. The largest & oldest is a pullet but she is a very BIG pullet, she dwarfs her sister. The fifth picture are the sisters. Big difference! They are still sleeping in the dog crate! Every night they climb up the porch steps and go to bed. I have to incorporate them into the coop, they are already part of the flock.... I do find that chickens that are young together stay together, in the large flock of all the birds they are subdivided. No fighting or problems they just like hanging with their own friends. LOL

Thank you..... some are are 8 weeks and some are closer to 6 weeks. The cockerel is one of the youngest. The largest & oldest is a pullet but she is a very BIG pullet, she dwarfs her sister. The fifth picture are the sisters. Big difference! They are still sleeping in the dog crate! Every night they climb up the porch steps and go to bed. I have to incorporate them into the coop, they are already part of the flock.... I do find that chickens that are young together stay together, in the large flock of all the birds they are subdivided. No fighting or problems they just like hanging with their own friends. LOL

Oh my goodness - the difference in size is INCREDIBLE! Being in N. Florida (I lived in Central FL for years, but now live in NC), I guess you don't have to worry too much about cold weather. About what age do you think you'll put them out with the older girls?

Oh my goodness - the difference in size is INCREDIBLE! Being in N. Florida (I lived in Central FL for years, but now live in NC), I guess you don't have to worry too much about cold weather. About what age do you think you'll put them out with the older girls?
These Bielefelders have been out since they were 4 weeks, 17 Cream Legbars too. I have had 34 degree nights. Chicks are hardy. They are with the entire flock all day every day. I made the mistake of putting them in the crate at night. I would open the door and they would run in.... then I carried it to the porch. They got to heavy so I just left the crate on the porch and let them do it themselves. I have to retrain them to the coop. I put my chicks in the flock as soon as I can because I am free ranging on 20 acres..... the chicks have no trouble getting away if they bother some older pullet or cockerel. All my chickens are 6 months or younger and tolerate each other. I have seen my Am cockerel gather them up when he thought there was danger and he has the least tolerance for them. So I have 17 older 5-6 month birds and 24 birds under 9 weeks, they all run together. It is really something when they know it is scratch time. I look like the pied piper with 40+ birds running behind me. The 17 Cls are something to watch, they forage in the high weeds. As you know since you have lived in Florida... I live in quail country. My land is pines and hedge rows, perfect for quail and I guess chickens too. They can dash from the clean area to cover quickly. The cover is full of seeds and weeds, they seem to like. This is plantation country, everyone from Ted Turner to the Duponts have plantations. People fox hunt across my property. I don't mind.... they leave wonderful chocolates in the mailbox during hunting season. Sorry..... I am running on.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom