A Bielefelder Thread !

Oh, how cute...
And I had to think of your Hansel today. Our big Organic Farmers Orgs are trying to breed a new Chicken without Avia Gen to get rid of the chick shredder and they started the Project with the Lable "Hänsel und Gretel" bevor naming it Bruder Hahn or Brother Rooster.
http://www.haenselgretel.com/index.php/home
http://www.bruderhahn.de/

LOL! That's fantastic! (I have a Hansel and a Gretel in my Bielefelder flock.
big_smile.png
)

I can't remember what I started with last year, but I know I had at least 50% of my shipped eggs hatch last year. I lost a lot of chicks afterwards, but I am pretty sure it's wasn't health related. I think they were crushing each other even though they had a lot of room, they would pile in one corner.

This year so far I set 11 eggs, 3 went into lock down and all three hatched. This batch was laid in the cold and they may have been partially froze. The second setting was 3 eggs and all three hatched. I have more in the incubator, but I have forgotten how many because I am 5wks in with 5 shipments of eggs and now all the eggs are marked (keeping pens separate). I do remember this last time (just candled eggs on day 7 on Friday) and I actually had some with no development. I think 2 out of 11 or 13 set.

What has me puzzled is I set 21 eggs total. All 11 mixed breed eggs which were Bielefelder over sex link eggs all hatched. Out of the 10 pure Bielefelder eggs only 4 hatched the 6 that did not hatch were fully developed chicks. I did check the air sacs which seemed slightly smaller on the Bielefelders Just trying to find out what settings have been successful for others.

This discussion on hatch rates is only serving to increase my desire to breed my Biel crosses back to the pure Biels. Maybe hatching rates will improve along with heat tolerance and point of lay.
wink.png

This discussion on hatch rates is only serving to increase my desire to breed my Biel crosses back to the pure Biels. Maybe hatching rates will improve along with heat tolerance and point of lay. ;)
to me, back crossing is faster/easier, but even full Biel's could be selected for better hatching rates, it would take longer, but selecting for better hatching traits would help the breed.

I'm also curious about mixing Biel's with a landrace. Thinking about doing both straight and mixed.

Has anyone mixed Biel's with sfh already?

On my last hatch I had 10 very nice Bielefelder eggs in with some Bielefelders /sex link mix eggs. All of my Bielefelders /sex link eggs hatched only 4 of my pure Bielefelder eggs hatched out of the 10. All of them were fully developed the 6 that did not hatch did not pip. I did candle the eggs at day 18 and was concerned about the air sack being small. When I realized the eggs were not going to hatch at day 23. I cracked them open and the chicks were fully developed and slightly larger than the ones that did hatch. I have a friend close by that had trouble hatching his Bielefelder eggs. He said he could hatch Rhode Island Reds without fail but his Bielefelders would fully develope and then not pip. I wonder if there are settings on humidity and temp that are more conducive to hatching Bielefelders?? Does anyone have any input? What set up and settings is everyone using? What results is everyone having with their Bielefelder eggs? What is successful for you?

Try a broody breed of bantam to hatch your difficult projects - like a Silkie, Cochin, or some broody bantam type. They would be fantastic mommas too. These broody breeds will hatch duck, quail, other breeds of chicken eggs as if the chicks were their own and the temp and humidity will be determined by the broody naturally.

Try a broody breed of bantam to hatch your difficult projects - like a Silkie, Cochin, or some broody bantam type. They would be fantastic mommas too. These broody breeds will hatch duck, quail, other breeds of chicken eggs as if the chicks were their own and the temp and humidity will be determined by the broody naturally.

Ever since I got into Asils, my incubators collect dust. Nothing can manage heat and humidity and turn eggs like a mother hen.

Back
Top Bottom