A Bielefelder Thread !

I am just so enamored with this little hybrid NN/Bielefelder! She's one week old today and really knows how to work the camera.
wink.png

So sweet! Will she be the only NN Bielie mix chick or will she have other mixes to hang out with? People who have NNs really love them from all the reviews I've come across.

So sweet! Will she be the only NN Bielie mix chick or will she have other mixes to hang out with? People who have NNs really love them from all the reviews I've come across.

I have other NN mixes this hatch, but she's the only NN/Biel. Right now I have a broody hen sitting on a few Bielefelder eggs that I'm hoping may give me another NN/Biel mix, but I won't find out for weeks yet.
fl.gif

NNs are a pretty awesome breed, especially if you live in hotter climates and if you want a good meat bird that matures to a normal processing age vs the Cornish Cross. They have fantastic personalities, are actually very good layers, and with 50% fewer feathers, process out much more quickly than full feathered birds. I wanted to cross my NNs with my Biels for the purpose of not only enhancing my meat bird program, but primarily to increase the heat tolerance and hardiness of the Bielefelders.

Last edited:
Has anyone crossed white bresse with bielefelder. I have a nice fast growing bresse pullet that I'm so impressed with, I was thinking of breeding her to a bielefelder roo in the future. Any thoughts on what the chicks would look like.

I've read through the posts, but I'm not sure if this question has been answered:
Had anyone been able to find a breed mix that doesn't quite consume is weight in food?
Bielefelders seem great, except that one thing, is there any way too get a more economical bird, without losing the friendliness?

I've read through the posts, but I'm not sure if this question has been answered:
Had anyone been able to find a breed mix that doesn't quite consume is weight in food?
Bielefelders seem great, except that one thing, is there any way too get a more economical bird, without losing the friendliness?
This is just my experience but Biels are no friendlier than any other breed I have.... Ameraucanas, BCM, Cream Legbars, assorted Marans. They are just bigger, calmer, maybe the best way to describe them is not as flighty but it is more like an elephant versus a monkey. Just calmer in a more lumbering big bird kind of way. I do like them very much. They are so beautiful. I am picking up 9 more chicks tomorrow and anyone that has fed Biels will enjoy the pictures I got yesterday from the breeder. She said the other day the chick feeder was upside down and when she picked it up there were Biels inside.
lau.gif

Last edited:
I have some biel/cereal legbar mixed chicks with one male out of the group. I also picked up a Plymouth Rock female pullet. They are both always in the feed bin.

A belated HAPPY EASTER to all!
We had a great weekend passing out our homemade hot cross buns & decorated eggs to all the neighbors. The kids even played Hot Cross Buns on their recorders at every house. There was an egg hunt, & we sold a few extra chicks on Sat. We had a lovely Easter celebration with family & the kids even let me take pics of them all dressed up.

Here's DD with the only pure Biele chick that hatched.

DS posing with a Spitzhauben.

I have some biel/cereal legbar mixed chicks with one male out of the group. I also picked up a Plymouth Rock female pullet. They are both always in the feed bin.
I guess if it's always in the feed, "Cereal" Legbar might be an appropriate name.
That darn auto correct is always entertaining. LOL

Back
Top Bottom