A brazen hawk and a hungry black snake

z3lda3

Songster
Mar 24, 2024
Hi, I put my pullets out in their coop/run full time a week ago. I have PLENTY of predators out here in the sticks. I let the girls free range everyday, and only when my husband or myself are out there with them. We’ve had a hawk around here for years. All last year he would perch on our swingset in the mornings. I haven’t seen him since having crows and mockingbirds nesting all over our place. But this afternoon my husband and I were out there with the girls and this hawk came flying by, LOW. The girls seen him before I did and ran into their coop. (Good Girls!)The hawk passed by and into the woods. Do y’all know/think this hawk would try to attack my chickens with us (my dog as well) being out there?
Annnd I’ve got a black snake, he’s being around for at least 5 years that I know of. Because of all the wild bird nesting he’s hanging around the house. There’s a nest of bluejays right at the roof of my house. I know they eat eggs, my girls are only 9 weeks old so no eggs yet obviously, but could he eat a pullet? Should I rehome him or??
One last question, I’ve got the three dogs, do y’all think the dogs peeing would deter predators? My coonhound marks his territory EVERYWHERE.

The hawk will absolutely go after the birds with the dogs out there. And if they’re like my dogs, they’ll just watch. I only free range in the afternoon when I can keep an eye on the girls, and an ear open for hawks. I also didn’t free range my girls until they were adult size, worried they’d be too easy of a target when little.

If I saw a snake, I’m sad to say the girls would be on their own, as I’d be high-tailing it out of there.

The hawk will absolutely go after the birds with the dogs out there. And if they’re like my dogs, they’ll just watch. I only free range in the afternoon when I can keep an eye on the girls, and an ear open for hawks. I also didn’t free range my girls until they were adult size, worried they’d be too easy of a target when little.

If I saw a snake, I’m sad to say the girls would be on their own, as I’d be high-tailing it out of there.
I never leave the girls unattended. I’m one of those ppl that even has a camera in the coop. I’m a worrier. I TOTALLY agree about the pooches, at least mine. They. Are.Lazy. But the hawk doesn’t know that..I wouldn’t leave the girls out with my dogs, I don’t THINK they’d hurt my girls but idk they have teeth don’t they? :)
Personally I’d get rid of the snake, I absolutely don’t like them. But everyone says they’re great to keep around because they eat mice? I’d rather have mice lol. Chicken raising is so worrisome. It’s ALWAYS something. I’ve just grown very fond of those fuzzy butts!

I wouldn’t leave the birds out unattended with the dogs until you’re positive they won’t chase them or harm them. I supervised mine for months (intro on leashes etc), before I realized the Beagle is terrified of large birds (including the hawks), and the other one is basically a 3-legged door mat UNLESS you’re a squirrel, then it’s game on.

What kind of hawk did you see? We have broad-winged hawks around here – I hear them every day that I spend any amount of time outside and see them fairly regularly– and so far they have not bothered my chickens or pigeons in ~3 years. However, I lost two pigeons last winter, one for sure and the other possibly to a hawk, during the time that broad-winged hawks have migrated to South America, so definitely a different type of hawk, possibly red tail as I have seen them a mile or so from our house.

If your hawk flew low over your chickens it does sound like it is interested!

I wouldn’t think a person would be much of a deterrent to a hawk. I was weeding the lawn many years ago and heard a flutter, swung around, and just got a glimpse of a large bird in a steep climb behind me, not far away at all. I didn’t see clearly enough to confirm, but my assumption has always been that it was a bird of prey, maybe an owl, could be a hawk, that had dived on a chipmunk.

Your dogs obviously haven’t had extensive training like my dogs have. For example my coonhound will wiggle his butt for a treat, and It’s been 12 years, and my ol senior dog STILL barks at the mailman. They’re absolutely useless, I’d get rid of them if if I didn’t love them so much lol.

I wouldn’t leave the birds out unattended with the dogs until you’re positive they won’t chase them or harm them. I supervised mine for months (intro on leashes etc), before I realized the Beagle is terrified of large birds (including the hawks), and the other one is basically a 3-legged door mat UNLESS you’re a squirrel, then it’s game on.

Your dogs obviously haven’t had extensive training like my dogs have. For example my coonhound will wiggle his butt for a treat, and It’s been 12 years, and my ol senior dog STILL barks at the mailman. They’re absolutely useless, I’d get rid of them if if I didn’t love them so much lol.
@tlcmurphy was replying to you, have no idea what happened, my reply looks wonky on my end 🤷‍♀️

What kind of hawk did you see? We have broad-winged hawks around here – I hear them every day that I spend any amount of time outside and see them fairly regularly– and so far they have not bothered my chickens or pigeons in ~3 years. However, I lost two pigeons last winter, one for sure and the other possibly to a hawk, during the time that broad-winged hawks have migrated to South America, so definitely a different type of hawk, possibly red tail as I have seen them a mile or so from our house.

If your hawk flew low over your chickens it does sound like it is interested!

I wouldn’t think a person would be much of a deterrent to a hawk. I was weeding the lawn many years ago and heard a flutter, swung around, and just got a glimpse of a large bird in a steep climb behind me, not far away at all. I didn’t see clearly enough to confirm, but my assumption has always been that it was a bird of prey, maybe an owl, could be a hawk, that had dived on a chipmunk.
This was definitely a red-tailed hawk. I’m so glad I now know they ARE brazen and it wasn’t just a fluke. Sigh. Seriously if I hadn’t been out there literally the girls at my feet, I’d be missing some chickens right now. It’s scary stuff!

You can buy snake deterrent from Lowe's. I have also heard a couple cans of diesel fuel placed strategically will help deter them. I'd keep the snake because it does keep the mouse population down. I don't think he could eat nine-week-old pullets, but who knows?

Back
Top Bottom