A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Around when do they stop laying in the season? Is it also influenced by day hours? Couldn’t really find many clear answers when researching it.

Around when do they stop laying in the season? Is it also influenced by day hours? Couldn’t really find many clear answers when researching it.
If allowed to raise poults, a hen may have stopped laying for the season when she went broody. Some hens will begin a second batch shortly after the first clutch hatches.

If not allowed to keep eggs or go broody many hens continue laying into October.

Last edited:
Ok, makes sense. Yeah our mid summer months can reach 105 easily so I wasn’t expecting a bunch of eggs then. Their pen is in full sun but they do have the coop enclosed. I’ll probably set up one of those porch misters outside for them.

Sweetgrass poults
full

The father
full

So I guess need to step turkeys protien up and they will quick bullying the chicks,because so far am not pleased with their bad behavior.

So I guess need to step turkeys protien up and they will quick bullying the chicks,because so far am not pleased with their bad behavior.
If you raise turkey poults with chicks, they lose the ability to understand that there is a difference between them and chickens. If you don't want your poults to bully your chicks, you will have to separate them from the chicks.

If you have been raising your poults on chicks starter, you have deprived them not only of the proper amount of protein they need but also of the higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin that are in a proper turkey starter. Changing their feed now will help them but it is not going to get them to stop bullying your chicks.

Back
Top Bottom