A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

these are the baby turkeys I hatched out roughly 2 weeks ago (i'll get up to date pics once it stops raining), the father is a Golden Narragansett, and the mom/moms are Standard Narragansetts (i only have 3 turkeys for breeding, the tom is 6 years old, and the hens just turned 1 year old)

I am not 100% sure on their colors (i'm colorblind, but i know my Tom is a Golden Narragansett because i sent a pic of him to Porter through Email to identify him).
the other thing about my tom is his 1st year was spent as a half feral turkey, a friend caught him, and sent him to me since he was alone and it was about to start into turkey hunting season... and i do admit he has bonded to me, and acts as a personal guard, and he watches over my chickens, and ducks (when danger is detected he herds them into the coop, and stands guard at the gate, the most i taught him is to tolerate small children that are trying to catch the chickens)

Attachments

• 20190511_223535.jpg
    20190511_223535.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Bad news. Got a call from my turkey sitter. Annie was found dead. No sign of trauma. Just in the yard dead. I'm still in Missouri so have had no opportunity to try & figure out what happened. Heading home this morning.
:hit:hugs
So sorry. We know how much she meant to you :hugs

Bad news. Got a call from my turkey sitter. Annie was found dead. No sign of trauma. Just in the yard dead. I'm still in Missouri so have had no opportunity to try & figure out what happened. Heading home this morning.
So sorry. I know you recently mentioned that Daisy laid an egg but have not seen any mention of Annie laying an egg. It is possible that Annie was egg bound if she has not been laying yet this year. Over the years I have had a couple of Bourbon Red hens die suddenly. When I found them, they each had an egg half way expelled as if they died in the middle of laying an egg.

I think its time for you to make a visit to @feedman77 . Perhaps he has a young hen that he would be willing to part with. If you had a way to get her home, I would give you a yearling Sweetgrass hen that is laying fertile eggs.

R2elk...she could have been egg bound. Although I did sort of feel around & didn't really detect anything. She also developed a habit of laying in my tall grass. Thought maybe she was doing that & the dogs were finding them before me. But really don't know. She was acting completely normal. However there had been a bit of weight loss. Again I put that down to it being summer & they are more active.

R2elk...she could have been egg bound. Although I did sort of feel around & didn't really detect anything. She also developed a habit of laying in my tall grass. Thought maybe she was doing that & the dogs were finding them before me. But really don't know. She was acting completely normal. However there had been a bit of weight loss. Again I put that down to it being summer & they are more active.
Neither of my hens showed any symptoms. I just found them dead as if they died while trying to lay an egg. Of course the egg situation may simply have been due to the natural relaxation of sphincter muscles after death. I only had it happen with Bourbon Red hens and not with any other varieties.

Last edited:

Oh no, I'm so terribly sorry to hear this :( If you were close, I would send you home with a penciled companion for Daisy.

Back
Top Bottom