A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

R2elk....thanks! You too Aurora. All y'all. I may have a lead close to Memphis. If it doesn't pan out today....I'm going to get two bronze poults here. Daisy can momma them. She sure momma'd those SS.

Yeah....the neighbors are stunned. Funny that they ask me what happened then ask how Daisy is doing.
Just make sure that the Bronze poults are heritage poults and not broad breasted. You really don't want BB poults no matter how convenient it may be.

GUESS WHAT!!! Found a breeder little bit over 2 hours from Memphis breeding Penciled AND Mottled! Heading there Sunday! I can't believe it! The Turkey Gods are looking out for me!!
Good for you. Hope you find the one you want although I will not be surprised if you get home with more than one.

I admit that I am old and senile and my short term memory is nearly non-existent. I have been confused lately when counting the eggs in a current turkey nest. To my knowledge there was only one hen using the nest but it seemed like there were 2 new eggs in it daily. I tried to pass it off as me being unable to properly remember how many eggs there were from the day before especially since I wasn't writing it down anywhere.

Beautiful sunny day and the weather forecast says we are done with frost until fall. I was out planting my first tomato in the garden. I though I had heard a turning where the nest is but I could see all of the turkeys that weren't already on nests. Mystery of the extra eggs was solved. The Wild hen has been coming in and adding an egg daily. I checked the nest to see which turkey was making the noise and it was the Wild hen. She has become accustomed enough to me that when she saw me she started to leave the nest but immediately went back to it as soon as I backed off.

I admit that I am old and senile and my short term memory is nearly non-existent. I have been confused lately when counting the eggs in a current turkey nest. To my knowledge there was only one hen using the nest but it seemed like there were 2 new eggs in it daily. I tried to pass it off as me being unable to properly remember how many eggs there were from the day before especially since I wasn't writing it down anywhere.

Beautiful sunny day and the weather forecast says we are done with frost until fall. I was out planting my first tomato in the garden. I though I had heard a turning where the nest is but I could see all of the turkeys that weren't already on nests. Mystery of the extra eggs was solved. The Wild hen has been coming in and adding an egg daily. I checked the nest to see which turkey was making the noise and it was the Wild hen. She has become accustomed enough to me that when she saw me she started to leave the nest but immediately went back to it as soon as I backed off.
Tame gal
maybe she will go broody first.

sooooooo Didn't you have some wild ones hatch before... or were they part wild?
what do you do with her eggs? Can you tell her poults from yours?
I read an old turkey guide and they recommended breeding to wild stock to get new bloodlines. I am sure the fish and game people would have a fit.

Tame gal
maybe she will go broody first.

sooooooo Didn't you have some wild ones hatch before... or were they part wild?
what do you do with her eggs? Can you tell her poults from yours?
I read an old turkey guide and they recommended breeding to wild stock to get new bloodlines. I am sure the fish and game people would have a fit.
I would never admit to hatching wild turkeys or half wild turkeys. In Wyoming it is illegal to have Wild turkeys and they do not even have a permit available that a person could get. By definition all wildlife belongs to the state and part of the definition of wildlife includes any hybrids that contain wild blood.

I have not been collecting any eggs from that nest and have no plans to collect any of those eggs.

The poults that hatch from the Sweetgrass eggs will be pure Sweetgrass and as such should be recognizable. I have seen no evidence of the Wild hen mating with the Sweetgrass tom but if she did, the offspring should be Bronze Semi-Color Semi-Gray and the poults should be distinguishable from Sweetgrass poults.

GUESS WHAT!!! Found a breeder little bit over 2 hours from Memphis breeding Penciled AND Mottled! Heading there Sunday! I can't believe it! The Turkey Gods are looking out for me!!

That's awesome! Which do you think you'll get? I hope whatever ones you get, learn the neighborhood routine and become just as loveable and sweet!

Jackie and her babies. :love
IMG_20190531_152446.jpg

And a broody Tom. :lol:
IMG_20190531_152702.jpg

He's also very protective of the babies. He went after our dog when she got too close to them earlier. Be interesting to see how they are with new ones if they hatch any.

Back
Top Bottom