A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I know you will find this hard to believe MM, but I am already enjoying a Mikes. (blackcherry).

Here are pictures of Ethel. I felt so bad I had no new pictures I ran out and took some. Dang she is a beautiful bird!!!

Also I check on my Blue Broody ( notice I did not say splash) she is back on the nest after the turmoil of the others moving to the gulag....

I am going to sit right here and play candy crush and wait to read a new post on BYC... It is my relaxing day .. I may get up soon to get a new Mikes.

And this one, believe it or not is a red slate, I know the egg it came from,, JJ and Ethel's oldest living child (below):

I am not disagreeing with you about the possibility of this poult being a Red Slate but from Porter's referring to breeding a pair of Red Slates together:

"They do not breed true: Three results should occur - Red Slate, Lilac and Bronze. The latter two will breed true." Just a guess on my part but to me that poult looks like a self blue and does not match the colors of the Red Slate poults on Porter's site.

Ralph it looks good. I hope it keeps the predators out.
fl.gif

Interesting, I am sure that is an Ethel baby, What I guess at is what Ethel and JJ are.

so anything could be possible.

My Blues I got from a reputable breeder, JJ and Ethel came off Craigslist from people in the city that should never have had turkeys.

Ethel is so pretty!!! I can't believe I have not seen her before.
Only time will tell how the little baby looks, I guess.
Banshee is living up to her name again...

I was told when I bought Ethel and JJ they were slate blues, they were in such rough shape and had been so badly treated they barely had feathers, when they got healthy and grew out feathers they were red slates, so I assume they are slates with a bourbon in there somewhere. Here is JJ: I did not know there was no splash in turkeys, that makes sense! I assumed JJ was a splash because of the dark blue splotches on him. Below is Ethel, I cannot believe I have not taken her picture since she had babies last fall, She looks rough here because she was on her nest for a month. She looks like a female JJ normally, some blue splotches but not as many as JJ with a red tinge. The one you called a blue must be a result of my "blue slate" hen and my self blue tom. I have denied JJ access to the blues/self blue.
He's not red slate, not enough red in the body. I'm guessing lilac, which is bronze with a double slate gene. I have a red slate tom & a lilac hen. They could also be mixes or rusty slate. Check Porter's. It's really hard to tell for sure from pix.
I know you will find this hard to believe MM, but I am already enjoying a Mikes. (blackcherry). Here are pictures of Ethel. I felt so bad I had no new pictures I ran out and took some. Dang she is a beautiful bird!!! Also I check on my Blue Broody ( notice I did not say splash) she is back on the nest after the turmoil of the others moving to the gulag.... I am going to sit right here and play candy crush and wait to read a new post on BYC... It is my relaxing day .. I may get up soon to get a new Mikes.
She may be red slate. She seems to have more red than JJ...or she could also be lilac. A pic of her in the sun with tail spread would give me a better view...but hard to get that pic...lol
Interesting, I am sure that is an Ethel baby, What I guess at is what Ethel and JJ are. so anything could be possible. My Blues I got from a reputable breeder, JJ and Ethel came off Craigslist from people in the city that should never have had turkeys.
If they are both lilac, this baby would have to be lilac. If either are mixes, that totally throws the genetics off...lol I'll have to check Porter's site to see if it's a lilac baby. I haven't hatched any yet.

Let me see if I can find a better picture of JJ, his tail has a real red band in it.

I cannot find a picture I took on a real camera and it is too dark here. I play with the color slightly on some to show the contrast when using the IPhone because they are so poor at color, or mine is abyways.

Let me see if I can find a better picture of JJ, his tail has a real red band in it. I cannot find a picture I took on a real camera and it is too dark here. I play with the color slightly on some to show the contrast when using the IPhone because they are so poor at color, or mine is abyways.
Yep, he's lilac. Wings & a band in the tail are the only actual blue on a red slate. Body feathers are all tipped in red with blue/grey down. He doesn't have near enough red to be red slate.

Ralph would never get rid of JJ and Ethel! It is hard to twist his arm to sell you any of their eggs...
wink.png

Whatever they are, they truly are beautiful and loving birds.

Back
Top Bottom