A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I went out and took pictures of JJ and Ethel with a camera, it is dark enough I needed a flash.

I hope these can help you tell me what they are.

I have not adjusted the color at all on these I just cropped them

http://m.porterturkeys.com/site/mob...bs&fw_sig_locale=en-US&fb_sig_network=fw#1030

Gonna say lilac from the poult pic.
http://m.porterturkeys.com/site/mob...bs&fw_sig_locale=en-US&fb_sig_network=fw#2123
Red slate poults are a dusky grey.

You better hold onto JJ & Ethel. They are rare!!! (And I would love to have some of their eggs if you would be interested in a swap.)

I did not get the pictures..

Al I know is I was told they were "slate blue" When I got my slate blues from the reputable breeder I knew right away JJ and Ethel were not that.

i have a question.
Okay so i have 2 turkey poults and they are Broad Breasted Bronze turkeys. when we got them i decided to do research and it said that these turkeys are on the critically endangered species list because they are one of the largest turkey breeds. since they are so big they have trouble breeding and laying on eggs. i wanted to know if this sounds right or if it was just a lie? it also said in some places its agianst the law to eat them since they are endangered.
thanks!

Haha, I hast he same thought as Ralph... Where are the pics?!
Kaestark- I have not heard that. I'll look into it though... I bought a bbb for Thanksgiving!

Haha, I hast he same thought as Ralph... Where are the pics?!
Kaestark- I have not heard that. I'll look into it though... I bought a bbb for Thanksgiving!

thanks! im just trying to get everything i know on them. im currently getting ready for fair time and APA shows and i really wanna know my stuff, i havent had turkeys since i was young and i have forgotten everythig about them

i have a question.
Okay so i have 2 turkey poults and they are Broad Breasted Bronze turkeys. when we got them i decided to do research and it said that these turkeys are on the critically endangered species list because they are one of the largest turkey breeds. since they are so big they have trouble breeding and laying on eggs. i wanted to know if this sounds right or if it was just a lie? it also said in some places its agianst the law to eat them since they are endangered.
thanks!

Bbb are market/butcher turkeys. Endangered only around thaksgiving.

The toms get to big to succesfully mate.

Most of this type come from hens that have ben artificial insemination.

Some have luck breeding bbb hens to heritage toms.

i have a question.
thanks!

Bbb are market/butcher turkeys. Endangered only around thaksgiving.

The toms get to big to succesfully mate.

Most of this type come from hens that have ben artificial insemination.

Some have luck breeding bbb hens to heritage toms.

Broad breasted bronze & broad breasted whites are produced by the thousands every year by breeders to go on your Thanksgiving table. They are bred for fast weight gain & meant to be butchered & eaten.

Standard heritage bronze are a completely different breed & much more rare. They breed naturally. Sounds like your sources were mixing the info from the 2 breeds.

I finally saw pictures of the Lilac turkeys, they do look like JJ.

AND the pictures of the babies look like JJ and Ethels babies. BUT I am disappointed I thought they were red slate or slate red, I never know what to call them for sure.

Then when I read the Lilac is just a bourbon I became even more disappointed. BUT I love my JJ and Ethel and will be happy with the babies.

I am in a quandary about what to do with Ethel's eggs. She is not setting yet, BUT I know she is a better hatcher than me. However, her nest is on the edge of thew swamp, and there are lots of predators in the swamp. This is a no win for me, If I lock them up my DW gets mad, and The turkeys get mad. If I don't they could get hurt.....What to do,,what to do..

Silkies would you really want some of their eggs?

SILKIE I just read on here about lilacs..

I need to know is this true?

Quote:
So who was it in the SPPA that first called them a three way cross in the 1998 census?

Lilac:

Lilacs are silvery blue with red flecking, wings are white and the tail has a wide band of red. This is an old variety that actually produces four color types. When breeding Lilac to Lilac, only 1/4 of the offspring will be Lilac. Another 1/4 will be fawn (tan colored), which will breed true. Another 1/4 will be red slate (slate with reddish tint and red tail), which will breed true. The last 1/4 will be a light bronze color. Just 13 hens and 11 toms were listed which makes up less than 1% of the Historical turkey population reported. The largest flock has 5 hens

Back
Top Bottom