A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Phil and Mister both found new homes (YAY! we don't have to eat them!) So now it's just Romeo, Taz (Phil's son) and Thanksgiving. Last night, Taz decided to try to put Thanksgiving in his place.... it was so funny! It ended up being a ring around the Romeo with Taz chasing Thanksgiving in circles. It didn't take long for Romeo to get fed up and to break it up lol. All the girls just stood back and watched the show.

I have two turkeys, one male and one female. We bought them about 6 months ago when they were three months old. Our female is broody! But she is on a clutch of chicken eggs. Three of her eggs are under a broody chicken, who beat her to the broody box. Our turkeys are different colours, so I’m assuming different breeds. I live in Tanzania currently; turkeys are considered very exotic here. We got ours from a farm connected with a church, where they raise a lot of different animals.

I have two turkeys, one male and one female. We bought them about 6 months ago when they were three months old. Our female is broody! But she is on a clutch of chicken eggs. Three of her eggs are under a broody chicken, who beat her to the broody box. Our turkeys are different colours, so I’m assuming different breeds. I live in Tanzania currently; turkeys are considered very exotic here. We got ours from a farm connected with a church, where they raise a lot of different animals.
Great that you were able to get them. Does the chicken have any chicken eggs under her too. Chicken eggs would hatch a week earlier than the turkey eggs..

View attachment 2373758This is Charlie and his girls...View attachment 2373760Silly narragansett hen didn't want in the group photo, she had to have her own glamour shot.
Do you know anyone with Chocolates? I guess it wouldn’t work out anyways because you’re in Colorado, but I have a young hen and access to another hen but no toms.
So does anyone know chocolate breeders in Wisconsin or going to Central Indiana Poultry show? Probably not...

Two toes ended up a hen, and beautiful! Is she, perhaps, related to narragansett?
IMG_20201015_100247785.jpg

The lack of outside toes isn't genetic, so she gets to stay!

Do you need them to be chocolates? The Chocolates (from hatchery sites I've read) are a larger bird, but that doesn't always mean a better meat bird. Honestly, smaller turkeys are a lot easier for smaller families to use. They thaw quicker, cook faster & provide more manageable portions. I was all about big, but I've changed my mind on this. Smaller birds also pack closer in the freezer and often provide a more favorable meat to bone ratio.

If these are pets, well, mixing your Chocolates with other color varieties may provide you with much more interesting plumage colors/patterns.

Back
Top Bottom