A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I found a great thread. It's a chicken :love :ya thread but they enjoy my turkeys just as much as I do. It's great They have made me fill right at home. They don't have experience with turkeys but that's OK.

yesterday was a super busy day! I finally discovered Rosabelle's hidden nest out in the summer pasture.... and she was hatching right then! She hatched 4 poults. I watched over her and she got up a few hours after I found her nest. I went down and scooped up her and her poults and transported them to the truck topper brooder where Pretty Girl (her daughter whom she had brooded a few years back) was already brooding a group of 6 that were 2 days old. Then Two Toes started hatching her brood too! She unfortunately did a terrible job once the babies started hatching. She smooshed 2 because she jumped up every time a poult squeaked, nearly smooshed an egg that was hatching ( it hatched into a beautiful sweetgrass, I managed to assist it since it was missing half its shell) and my daughter scooped up several poults that she had pushed out along with shells she was kicking out. So, we removed all her living poults and gave them to Rosabelle, who happily took on more poults. Rosabelle is now 8 years old and has been successful for 6 seasons so she is a very good mommy. Pretty girl raised up 14 poults in one go last year, and PrettyGirl and Rosabelle know each other well so accepted co parenting readily. The other broody hens who have hatched earlier in the season have formed quite the posse. There are 4 hens with their various aged poults all together. It is amusing watching them move as an ever alert unit across the yard. Even the toms stay out of their way. Yesterday and today were very busy! Several of the poults Two Toes hatched looked like bronze type markings that were blue instead of black, and Two Toes looks like a Narragansett with no red and the sire of all poults this year is Slater the half blue slate half sweetgrass. Two toes is likely the daughter of Pretty Girl, who is half Royal Palm (Rosabelle) and half Burbon Red and is a red bronze carrying blackwinged bronze. I wanna see these bronze based blue poults grow up! So many possibilities!

First one out!

Attachments

• 20210805_063538.jpg
    20210805_063538.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom