A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Is bean soup the same thing as what we call soup beans? Just slow cooked pinto beans with a piece of salt pork or ham?
Bean soup is any soup with beans that isn't chili, I guess. The particular recipe was senate bean soup, which is white beans with a ham hock, garlic, potatoes ( we eat so many potatoes in the north) and onions with salt, pepper, and parsley. I make a lot of soup anyways, since I broth all the bones I get.

Bean soup is any soup with beans that isn't chili, I guess. The particular recipe was senate bean soup, which is white beans with a ham hock, garlic, potatoes ( we eat so many potatoes in the north) and onions with salt, pepper, and parsley. I make a lot of soup anyways, since I broth all the bones I get.
Ah okay. Soup beans here is eaten with cornbread with fixins like diced yellow onion and chow chow. I love hearing about how people in other necks of the woods cook.

Ah okay. Soup beans here is eaten with cornbread with fixins like diced yellow onion and chow chow. I love hearing about how people in other necks of the woods cook.
I feel like if someone was talking about soup beans, they would be referring to just the beans going into the soup, and not the soup itself, here. It is indeed interesting how colloquialisms change place to place. There is a LOT of chili made here, though. So, if it isn't chili, and it has beans, it would be bean soup, because it has beans, then it would be a particular kind of bean soup, and the beans you used would be soup beans, defined further like, pinto, great northern, or canelli. Because of our short seasons, pulse crops are staples, along with potatoes. The most common food crop planted in Montana would be wheat and barley in eastern and central Montana, because of the mountain shadow and the short seasons. I have a batch of sourdough that my dad started when I was a baby 40 some years ago. Even sourdough develops different flavors depending on the wild cultures you gather in it while keeping it. It is different from the commercial sourdoughs.

I feel like if someone was talking about soup beans, they would be referring to just the beans going into the soup, and not the soup itself, here. It is indeed interesting how colloquialisms change place to place. There is a LOT of chili made here, though. So, if it isn't chili, and it has beans, it would be bean soup, because it has beans, then it would be a particular kind of bean soup, and the beans you used would be soup beans, defined further like, pinto, great northern, or canelli. Because of our short seasons, pulse crops are staples, along with potatoes. The most common food crop planted in Montana would be wheat and barley in eastern and central Montana, because of the mountain shadow and the short seasons. I have a batch of sourdough that my dad started when I was a baby 40 some years ago. Even sourdough develops different flavors depending on the wild cultures you gather in it while keeping it. It is different from the commercial sourdoughs.
I've been making sourdough bread. My starter is only a few months old but it's doing well. Here are my latest loaves. 🥰
20240327_175505.jpg
20240320_001553.jpg

I've been making sourdough bread. My starter is only a few months old but it's doing well. Here are my latest loaves. 🥰 View attachment 3797799View attachment 3797802
I started doing that (created the starter from scratch) but I left for college so my starter got neglected at home so it doesn’t work anymore. ☹️ I’ll have to buy a new one for when I come home to his summer so I can speed up the process instead of starting from scratch again.

I started doing that (created the starter from scratch) but I left for college so my starter got neglected at home so it doesn’t work anymore. ☹️ I’ll have to buy a new one for when I come home to his summer so I can speed up the process instead of starting from scratch again.
 Honestly you can revive your old starter. Just feed it for a few days and I bet it will perk right back up. They go dormant without regular feedings but unless they are exposed to high heat, they don't usually die. If it's moldy, toss it.

 Honestly you can revive your old starter. Just feed it for a few days and I bet it will perk right back up. They go dormant without regular feedings but unless they are exposed to high heat, they don't usually die. If it's moldy, toss it.
It’s a bit funky now (lots of hooch) though not moldy. I should have thrown it out when I came home on spring break so my mom doesn’t feel like she has to take care of it.

I've been making sourdough bread. My starter is only a few months old but it's doing well. Here are my latest loaves. 🥰 View attachment 3797799View attachment 3797802
It’s a bit funky now (lots of hooch) though not moldy. I should have thrown it out when I came home on spring break so my mom doesn’t feel like she has to take care of it.
Don't throw it out! Trust the process. Stir in the hooch and feed it.
Keep your starter in the fridge when you have to go long periods without feeding. Please trust me, it will be fine. I am not the best sourdough starter tender. It is very forgiving and pretty hardy.
This is the thread to discuss your sourdough.

Any Home Bakers Here?

Back
Top Bottom