A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I have been watching my girls since I took those water logged eggs and they have been so sad still walking around crying. So I robbed some eggs from another broody Buff Orp hen and gave some of her eggs to my Bourbon Red hens and it did not take them a minute to arrange them and get on top of them. In a couple weeks I will swap the eggs out for some poults and let them raise them.

I have been watching my girls since I took those water logged eggs and they have been so sad still walking around crying. So I robbed some eggs from another broody Buff Orp hen and gave some of her eggs to my Bourbon Red hens and it did not take them a minute to arrange them and get on top of them. In a couple weeks I will swap the eggs out for some poults and let them raise them. 

They would be fine with the chicks too if you want to just let them hatch & keep them.

That is just the opposite of my hens. Actually all of my hens regardless of age are so dedicated that they will go broody on a single fake egg and refuse to give up.

We need to get our birds together and come up with a compromise!

he.gif

I have thrown away way too many eggs this year that I entrusted to the young gals.

Quote:
My experience is that the more you mess with a turkey's nest the more likely the hen is to abandon the nest. When my hens go broody, I leave them completely alone and make sure that the tom also leaves them alone. I had one Bourbon Red tom that would hunt down the nests and break all of the eggs just to get the hens back into breeding mode.

Hey MM..

I am almost done in Florida!!

I was just wondering do you happen to know how much I can sell a penguin for when I get home?

WooHoo you are home!! I am sure your birds are so happy to see you!

I think you can sell your penguin for..... NOT A SINGLE PENNY... you know your DW will divorce you.

I will have to get some pics of our turkeys, the dang things are so adorable. They have taken to roosting on the deck railing, as close to the back door as possible, at night. I move them to the coop. Every night. But they still don't get it. Sigh.
I would leave them out, but I am positive the owl would have turkey for a midnight snack.

Back
Top Bottom