A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I was rooting for Superglue. Bummer. Aurora, sorry about Buddy.

I'm in Missouri this weekend. ...FREEZING. What happened to spring? No fair....we've already hit 80 in Memphis. Now we are having frost warnings.

No signs of broody turkeys yet. Do turkeys ALWAYS go broody? I'm hoping mine take a pass!

Sorry to hear about superglue...
Culling is hard on a person. MY condolences on that. I have had to cull a few this spring. I was waiting for them to die on their own. But that seems cruel too.

I am not sure if I mentioned it on this thread or not. I have found a relatively easy way to cull. Not that is completely easy but I think it is easer on me and the victim.

I found it last week, I did a search on BYC for culling methods for chicks. I use an old dishwasher soap container. The Plastic ones with the partial flip up lid. I line the box with paper towels, so it is soft and cushy then lay the chick in the box. I cover the chick loosely with those blue paper shop towels, I like because they hold so much oil.

Then I dowse the blue towel with Starting Fluid, (ether) and shut the lid. The chick does not seem to even move I let it lie there for a half an hour or so and it is gone. I am rationalizing that it is just like going to sleep for surgery and never waking up. They use to use ether for that.

I have never had a hen as mean as you Gev...Maybe you should have entered her in Turkey MMA instead of selling her.

Memphis I think all turkeys go broody. This time of the year all of mine seem on the verge of it.

I was in with JJ and Ethel last night for a few minutes, my Blue Red hen is in there. I actually petted her and she did not go berserk.. Maybe I can make a tolerant out of her. The non-breeding boys have finally given up pacing the fence lines and started eating a little. I do not think they have eaten in a month I was getting so worried about them.

It's never easy to cull. Ralph, your method sounds humane.

Ralph, I'm convinced if you spend time with a turkey it will at least be a tolorant. They all seem to like the attention. Where is Ethel Jr in the breeding pen mix?

It's never easy to cull. Ralph, your method sounds humane.

Ralph, I'm convinced if you spend time with a turkey it will at least be a tolorant. They all seem to like the attention. Where is Ethel Jr in the breeding pen mix?

She is the Blue red, for those not knowing her name. She is with JJ. I only did two types of breeding this year.

Blue Toms over Self blue hens, Which will give me all blues and self blues. (potential show birds) Time will tell.

I had one blue hen in with one of the blue toms to give me some blacks. I have orders for blacks, I hope I get some. I have about 20 sold, Which is a lot. BUT JJ and the Ethel's should give me some too.

I put JJ in with "everything else". for my mixtures.

We our on west side. We our getting rains and bad weather to. Taking care or wet and injured animals from bad storms.and breeding issues. No what you mean.

Huh....there you are with this amazing color varieties of turkeys and folks want black. Ralph, do they say why they are looking for black? Not that there is anything wrong with black, I just find the blues so appealing.

Managed to take some lazy time after barn cleaning this afternoon. DH, BIL and I sat around on the grass under the apple trees for a bit - the boys were very social and hung out with us :). They were quite happy to discovery all the bird seed that the wild birds had tossed on the ground. Ignore the bald spots - they seem to be molting lol.

Back
Top Bottom