A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Sorry for your losses AmericanMom and WalnutHill
hugs.gif

Thank you
smile.png

Hopefully I will see some hatching soon, set number two in lockdown yesterday and just did a quick check, all looks good, expect to see some piping late tonight or early tomorrow..

I have 3 eggs out of a nest I found abandoned.

Starting to hatch. Dont know which hen its from so they will be a suprise.

The 15 I set 6 days ago I just candled. Looks like possibly 4 clears rest all have veining and embryo formation.

I have 15 plus what is laid tomorrow to go in the incubator tomorrow night.

And I get my new trio of palms on monday.

I have 3 eggs out of a nest I found abandoned.

Starting to hatch. Dont know which hen its from so they will be a suprise.

The 15 I set 6 days ago I just candled. Looks like possibly 4 clears rest all have veining and embryo formation.

I have 15 plus what is laid tomorrow to go in the incubator tomorrow night.

And I get my new trio of palms on monday.
That's cool that you found them!!

Working in the run today, looked up and saw a chicken with what looked to be the remains of an egg.. Got ahold of it and took it to DH, yep, it was a turkey egg, nice veining still visible but no embryo... Made me sick, DH said he saw a crow back there earlier when the hen was off the nest.. Will crows take eggs that big?

Hen was off the nest several hours later so I ran back and checked, sure enough, two eggs missing.. She is down to 11

I would think if a crow can peck it open they would take one easily.

Crows are easier to deal with than owls and bald eagles. I have a pair of eagles nesting less than quarter of a mile from my pens. And an owl is just starting to make his presence known

Sorry that you lost a couple of eggs.

crows will definitely eat turkey eggs. i have heard that they are worse that coyotes, coons and other predators on wild nests

Well that completely sucks.. I'm sure that once they find it they will return, going to have to think about how to protect her nest as I cant be out there all day waiting for her to leave it..

Don't want to discourage the crows either, since they have shown up we don't have the issues with the hawk and as bad as this sounds, if my hen has to sacrifice a few eggs to save this years chicks (we lost over 60% of broody hatched chicks last year) then I suppose that's a small price to pay?

Back
Top Bottom