A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

We have substantial wild flocks near my house. I'm talking like 80-100 or more when they flock up but I've never seen them come in my yard. Even in the spring with the toms gobbling and the hens calling. I always thought it was weird. I'm still waiting to see a wild one come check out the flock.

Apparently, years ago at the state park that I work at, there was a very friendly, wild turkey that would hang out in the campground. It would be social, visit campers, hang out with them and get hand outs. It was a campground celebrity. That was long before I worked there so I never got to see it. I'm pretty sure it was a hen but not positive. It's not a tiny, quiet campground either, like 400 sites and rather busy. I think that would've been neat to see.

Last edited:
I did have a jake spend the winter years ago. He liked the chair in the deck and an old blue truck.
1527526855051.jpg

We have substantial wild flocks near my house. I'm talking like 80-100 or more when they flock up but I've never seen them come in my yard. Even in the spring with the toms gobbling and the hens calling. I always thought it was weird. I'm still waiting to see a wild one come check out the flock.

Apparently, years ago at the state park that I work at, there was a very friendly, wild turkey that would hang out in the campground. It would be social, visit campers, hang out with them and get hand outs. It was a campground celebrity. That was long before I worked there so I never got to see it. I'm pretty sure it was a hen but not positive. It's not a tiny, quiet campground either, like 400 sites and rather busy. I think that would've been neat to see.
I'm curious if the wild turkeys will come to check ours out also. I won't free range any outside of the goat lot for fear of them following wild turkeys up in the mountains. A light colored domestic turkey like a palm or a sweetgrass probably wouldn't make it long in the mountains.

I turned white leghorns loose in the woods when I was growing up. They lasted until some idiot hunters shot them that fall thinkiing they were albino pheasants.
White Leghorns are my husband's favorite layers. We had 6 and now have none. They are the varmints favorite food apparently where I live. I guess the white makes them stand out and easier to see. I also lost a large portion of my White Legbars that were free ranging, leaving me only 4 hens. And they all roosted high up in the trees with the Game hens. It was unfortunate. We have been trapping hoping to knock the numbers down of whatever is taking my chickens. I still have a lot of chickens, but I don't want to lose any more.

I have 1 white leghorn and she is a smart little brat. I can't imagine anything being able to catch her nutty butt! She's always the one in the garage, getting in to things or sneaking in to the turkey coop to lay her egg. She knows every secret passage and opening in the fence. She's also my suspected egg eater but she never eats her own (probably since she never lays it in the actual chicken coop) but I can't bring myself to make her into soup.

Back
Top Bottom