A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I need some reassurance :( My tom turkey got in a fight with his brother, the fighting stopped 4-5 days ago but he just stands in the yard hunched over, barely eating or drinking. He is a big boy so I don't think he will starve to death, but I'm worried he might have internal injuries. Is this normal? I've never seen him refuse to eat.

I need some reassurance :( My tom turkey got in a fight with his brother, the fighting stopped 4-5 days ago but he just stands in the yard hunched over, barely eating or drinking. He is a big boy so I don't think he will starve to death, but I'm worried he might have internal injuries. Is this normal? I've never seen him refuse to eat.
Probably depression and yes they can die from depression.

This poult is looking like a chocolate painted. So I can only assume the mother of this one was the rusty black (grizzled black cross). The father was a black painted. That would make the black painted tom split chocolate, and this poult is a female if my speculations are accurate. I am by no means certain on any of this, merely hypothesizing as I watch it grow out. It may end up not even being painted, but it is looking like it may be.

:fl

20231223_171341.jpg

20231223_171400.jpg

20231223_171414.jpg

This poult is looking like a chocolate painted. So I can only assume the mother of this one was the rusty black (grizzled black cross). The father was a black painted. That would make the black painted tom split chocolate, and this poult is a female if my speculations are accurate. I am by no means certain on any of this, merely hypothesizing as I watch it grow out. It may end up not even being painted, but it is looking like it may be.

:fl

View attachment 3711002
View attachment 3711003
View attachment 3711004
You may be correct about the sex.

Maybe get him a couple of hens and part ways with one of the toms? I'm sorry he is sad. My turkeys become distraught when they are separated from the others, especially the females.
The offender is out of the picture. His other brother is his BFF and will not leave his side. They call to each other if they can't see each other. The 6-month poults stay near him too. I think turkeys will stay close to weak flock members.

I tried to grab him to force him to eat today, but he fought his way out and lost a ton of feathers... I feel like such an a** for stressing him out for nothing.... he is pretty strong for not having eaten in almost a week...

I don't know what else I can do for him :( If he dies at least he will be surrounded by friends.

The offender is out of the picture. His other brother is his BFF and will not leave his side. They call to each other if they can't see each other. The 6-month poults stay near him too. I think turkeys will stay close to weak flock members.

I tried to grab him to force him to eat today, but he fought his way out and lost a ton of feathers... I feel like such an a** for stressing him out for nothing.... he is pretty strong for not having eaten in almost a week...

I don't know what else I can do for him :( If he dies at least he will be surrounded by friends.
I am so sorry! I hate that he is struggling and/or doesn't seem to be feeling well. I do worry he is hurt or sick if he is off feed even though he isn't alone. His brother should be enough to keep him company. Since he resists you feeding him all you really can do is wait him out and see if he either passes or improves. Does he have any visible signs of injuries? He could just be very sore from fighting. Our roosters go off feed like that sometimes after they are beat up badly. We used to raise game chickens, now we just have what few are left because we've had them so long. But when they fight they don't stop and are in pretty rough shape usually or dead.

Back
Top Bottom