A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Santa 🎅 got stuck in the mud here last night:lau
FB_IMG_1703531532891.jpg

same here
I harvested a jake this morning. at least 8 more to go before breeding season melee
Do you skin your birds or pluck? I need to find a deep enough pot to scald larger turkey jakes and toms. We usually build a fire outside in the fire pit with a grate and use a pot to scald chickens. I definitely need a bigger one if I intend to scald and pluck.

Do you skin your birds or pluck? I need to find a deep enough pot to scald larger turkey jakes and toms. We usually build a fire outside in the fire pit with a grate and use a pot to scald chickens. I definitely need a bigger one if I intend to scald and pluck.
I use a 1 1/2 bushel galvanized basket for scalding turkeys.

I pluck if it's warm out. I use a turkey fryer pot. The one year I had 17lb dressed and I had to flip him in the pot to get the tail and lower legs. I have a yardbird plucker but have to take neck,feet and long wing and tail feathers off first. Sometimes gets stuck and needs flipping....still have to pluck some by hand.
I turn the house water heater up it gets to 160f. I only do a couple birds at a time... lately just one.
Otherwise I bring in the dead bird and skin on top of the deep freezer in basement.

Back
Top Bottom