A chicken meat that smells like fish:

Feathers of Eden

Songster
Feb 8, 2021
Ontario,Canada
Have you eaten a chicken meat that smells like fish and tastes like fish?

I have that experience. Almost every Iranian had this experience for about a year. Just after the Islamic revolution in Iran and the chaos that followed we noticed the chicken meat started to smell like fish and it got worse week by week. I do not mean it smelled like a good fish. it smelled like a bad fish. It got to the point that my family found a free grazing Turkey farm and we switched to Turkey for a while. the fish smell lasted for a year.

A few years later I found the reason behind that bad smell. When the Islamic revolution happened the poultry farms in Iran had a severe shortage of chicken feed basics like wheat and corn but a huge reservoir of powder fish meal so they were forced to feed their chicken mostly fish powder (around 80 percent I guess was fish powder).

I am curious to know about your possible similar experience with chicken meat .

Not chicken but, when I was much younger and not very wise, I shot what they call a "mud duck" or cooter. It's a small black duck that feeds in the shallow water of lagoons and bays. They eat mostly snails and small fish. They fly very close to the water and they're pretty fast, so I was proud that I got one with my first shot.

All the old guys on the hunting trip laughed at me and reminded me that no animal is to be wasted- we eat what we kill.

It chewed like chicken but tasted like oily fish. I used a lot of hot sauce and garlic to cover the flavor but it was still terrible.

Back
Top Bottom