A few questions

That they do, caught them outta their brooder trying to figure out how to get into the fridge one day, they decided if I wasn't gonna give them some yogurt they were gonna try to get it themselves lol.

The older is a leghorn cross by the barred rock rooster and has been trying to fly since she was 5 days old, but miss attitude, oops I mean Happy, doesn't think she should be outside just wants to perch on my 25 yr old sons shoulder like a parrot.

The barred rock chick from second hatch may be the runt but she isn't afraid to get right in Happy's face either even though she's so much bigger .
I never realized how much personality chickens have. We got our 1st 15 BO pullets in April (1 turned out to be a surprise roo), and we have been in love with them ever since. I wish we would have gotten them sooner! They can be so sweet (or stubborn lol)

That is one good thing about brooding them as the hens hadn't gone broody, will be interesting as these are really good about human interaction, where the older ones of the flock don't want much to do with it other than us feeding watering and cleaning up after them.

Yep they all got their own unique personalities that you see more of when they are free ranged, Had a hen mad this morning cause one decided to brood in her favorite nest box, so she got mad and laid her egg in the middle of the coop floor and stomped out lol

our flock turned out to be less hens than we thought, ended up with 5 suprise roosters lol only kept one of them though

Last edited:
I let them outside today while I did my barn chores. They had a blast! Not once did they run to momma to get warm, they handled it very well. When I let them out near the chicken coop, one of the hens growled at them..the babies were very interested in the adults.

Awesome, mine are starting to go stir crazy inside but none of the hens were interested in adopting them so they are gonna have to wait a bit longer while we finish the prepping the insulated coop for them, have up to 7 more due to hatch in less than a week, hoping this one goes better than the last 2 hatches. One of the crazy hens seeing the babies out there decided she was gonna go broody at the worst time of the year here will be lucky if we get to freezing for the next month.

Awesome, mine are starting to go stir crazy inside but none of the hens were interested in adopting them so they are gonna have to wait a bit longer while we finish the prepping the insulated coop for them, have up to 7 more due to hatch in less than a week, hoping this one goes better than the last 2 hatches. One of the crazy hens seeing the babies out there decided she was gonna go broody at the worst time of the year here will be lucky if we get to freezing for the next month.
Best of luck for your hatch! I am going to try my best to wait until it starts warming up to hatch anymore. But, we will see how that goes haha! I'm finding it's very addicting!

I'm thinking Poppy Corn must be a girl...she is 5 weeks. This is poppy......

This is Mr. Doodle at 5 weeks. There is a big difference! I guess it could still go either way, but I'm leaning towards pullet!

Our chicks are now 4 weeks +3 days old! They are growing like crazy! Momma hen is still taking very good care of them. She laid her 1st post broody egg yesterday and another today! I'm very impressed.

We live in north central washington, it's been averaging 39-41 degrees on most days. Lots of rain though. All the babies and momma are currently living in a large crate inside. My question is, is it ok to start letting them outside for awhile? I'm sure they would love the extra room, but I don't want them to get too cold. Also, I've noticed at least one of them has been sneezing a bit. Otherwise acting very normal. Eating well. Should I worry about that?

Would it be ok to introduce them into the rest of the flock while still under the care of momma....or wait a little longer?

I've included a few pictures...if anyone could take a guess at sexing them. We are hoping the buff baby is a roo and that the other 2 are pullets. First 3 pics are "Poppy" next 2 are "Licorice" and the last is "Feedy"

Thanks in advance!
I fear that if mama has started laying again that your chicks salad days are over. Expect the mama hen to wean her chicks at any moment.

I fear that if mama has started laying again that your chicks salad days are over. Expect the mama hen to wean her chicks at any moment.
I did notice the last few times I've taken them out, she doesn't stay anywhere close to them. She still lets them sleep under her while they are in their crate. I was wondering about that. Should I put momma back in with the adult chickens now? If I do, will the chicks need a heat lamp? they are inside the house where it's warm.

Back
Top Bottom