A fox tried to take my Abbey

Heres the calls taken just now

Leelus really starting to look like she's molting. I think the boys look fat.

Here is Stormy (Leelus daughter) showing off her rolls

She looks FAAT to me!

Heres Ephinny, one of the big girls

I don't think they are fat, but I'm starting to wonder if she's getting ready to sit? Is that possible? Could she be getting ready to lay some eggs and go into hatching mood?

My calls do the samething, they will be in a group then all of a suddenly, I'm missing one, I will search and search and search, OMG, they are excellent hiders. But when I do fine them BOOM, there they are sitting on eggs. Now I only had one girl take off FAR into the woods, OMG, scared me sooo bad but she was gone for quite a while, when she came back home, she had NOT ONE, NOT TWO but SEVEN little buggers with her.

I thought for SURE she was dead..

I have a terrible habit of counting all my calls at night when I lock them up. RIght now we have a nasty little fox, exploring around so It's more of a head count for me.

THANK GOD they can fly...

I don't recall mine molting right now but they are in mating mode. I have seen two of my boys going at it neck to neck.

I don't think they are fat, but I'm starting to wonder if she's getting ready to sit? Is that possible? Could she be getting ready to lay some eggs and go into hatching mood?

My calls do the samething, they will be in a group then all of a suddenly, I'm missing one, I will search and search and search, OMG, they are excellent hiders. But when I do fine them BOOM, there they are sitting on eggs. Now I only had one girl take off FAR into the woods, OMG, scared me sooo bad but she was gone for quite a while, when she came back home, she had NOT ONE, NOT TWO but SEVEN little buggers with her.

I thought for SURE she was dead..

I have a terrible habit of counting all my calls at night when I lock them up. RIght now we have a nasty little fox, exploring around so It's more of a head count for me.

THANK GOD they can fly...

I don't recall mine molting right now but they are in mating mode. I have seen two of my boys going at it neck to neck.
At the beginning of breeding season (about 2 months ago) I tracked her daily to collect her eggs and I only got 4. She lays such tiny narrow eggs, I dont think its easy for her. Theres still at least 2 months of warm weather left but the girls are clearly over it. In her favourite nesting spots I have found tiny little quail sized eggs that the snakes dont even bother to steal. Of course, it is so hot in the Auzzie summer its not cold enough to kill the eggs even at night, and I have thought she's going to appear out of the bushes with babies at some point, but when I was incubating her eggs and brooding her one daughter she hung around the laundry like she was checking my work.

Ive started putting a bit of this in the feed
http://equiaustralia.com.au/default.asp?menu=comp

I have the equilibrium B1 cool mix. I thought it cant hurt to put a sprinkle in their feed just for a few days. All the girls are starting to look ragged, I think its breeding stress and moulting.

Leelu went for a big free range yesterday afternoon and this morning, all back to normal.

Im glad you dont think they are fat! Really, not even Stormy?

I did wing clips yesterday. I dont allow mine to fly. Im not doing the calls until they finish their moult, but I did Wist (who can just disappear he flies so well) and the babies. Que went for a good fly yesterday and scared the hell outta me. I had never seen Stormy fly but when I went to catch her she flew up over my head! If they flew even to the next paddock they would be fox fodder.

I think its hanging around but my australorp Shiela is a good indicator. If she puts herself to bed for no reason, I get everybody in. The night the fox attacked Shiela had been brooding in the garden, on that night she was in the shed, so she knew it wasnt safe.

I count mine a minimum of three times. Every hour or so!

Well a fox showed up and grabbed one of my ducks, sadly the poor thing did not make it. He couldn't breath, my guess the fox bit down on his wind pipe. GRRRRR

AND HE DIDN'T EVEN TELL ME WHAT HE'S SOUND IS????

Well a fox showed up and grabbed one of my ducks, sadly the poor thing did not make it. He couldn't breath, my guess the fox bit down on his wind pipe. GRRRRR

AND HE DIDN'T EVEN TELL ME WHAT HE'S SOUND IS????

Dang it, that sucks!
sad.png
I'm sorry for your losses, Lacrystol.

Last edited:
My fox got a bullet in the chest. I had enough he took three more and that was it.
Just as I was complaining about territory issues with the fox, a stray cat started coming in beating up my girls! I cat rescue, so Im sympathetic, but this guy is not starving (may even have a home) and sneaking in and beating up my cats is not how to ask for refugee status around here! I said last night if I had a gun there would be bullet holes in a few nasty characters around here....We arent in a rural enough area to apply, they are really cracking down on property gun rules. My partner wants to get me a bow.

The shed is fixed but I think hes still sneaking around.

Just as I was complaining about territory issues with the fox, a stray cat started coming in beating up my girls! I cat rescue, so Im sympathetic, but this guy is not starving (may even have a home) and sneaking in and beating up my cats is not how to ask for refugee status around here! I said last night if I had a gun there would be bullet holes in a few nasty characters around here....We arent in a rural enough area to apply, they are really cracking down on property gun rules. My partner wants to get me a bow.

The shed is fixed but I think hes still sneaking around.

GRRRR these animals, why can't they just mind there own business. LOL

Back
Top Bottom