A good chicken breed?

NikolasGuy1234

Chirping
Aug 8, 2017
Man, i have to say that i am loving this site to the highest extent possible. lovely community, lovely people, its great.

Anyways. i have black Australorps and some young red stars. i have read, and seen that my Australorp kind of lack a "personality"? if you will. they kind of all just do the same thing, they all really have the same traits except my favorite rooster, who's only different trait is getting an extra foot closer to me when i come in the coop. my question is, what are some Nice tempered, friendly in general, and full of personality chicken species that can lay eggs decently as well, i know its kind of specific, but you get the drift. not only the personality thing, i'm just trying to expand diversity in the flock. thank you for any answers and have a lovely day/night! :hugs

My mother likes Barred-rocks. My RIRs are full of personality--personally, I prefer barnyard mixes. Know what your parent breeds are, obviously, but there's enough mix there that you can tell them apart.

I loved my australorps, mind you.
Oh no no no. i love my australorps to death! this was more about just being more diverse. that other thing was just something i noticed or actually failed too. thank you for the suggestion as well!

My Easter Egger is really sweet, I pick her up to cuddle her every morning and I hear it's a common trait for the breed. Lays every day. Barred Rocks are great too. Mine is bit flighty but a great layer. I've heard things about Buffs and Brahmas.

Man, i have to say that i am loving this site to the highest extent possible. lovely community, lovely people, its great.

Anyways. i have black Australorps and some young red stars. i have read, and seen that my Australorp kind of lack a "personality"? if you will. they kind of all just do the same thing, they all really have the same traits except my favorite rooster, who's only different trait is getting an extra foot closer to me when i come in the coop. my question is, what are some Nice tempered, friendly in general, and full of personality chicken species that can lay eggs decently as well, i know its kind of specific, but you get the drift. not only the personality thing, i'm just trying to expand diversity in the flock. thank you for any answers and have a lovely day/night! :hugs

My Australorps are friendly and have personalities, but mine are not the hatchery ones. I have them in all 3 of the colors... Black, Blue, and Splash.

Hi there,

I personally love any variety of Sussex. They are moderate layers (260-280 eggs per year), but they are the most docile and loving chickens getting around. (In my opinion). I am currently raising some silver Sussex, and a few australorps. my australorp (Pigs) has the most personality that a chicken can have. She is literally hilarious! Anyway, i hope this advice helps.

Well, depends on what sort of personality you want. My Barred Rock is calm, confident, and friendly. High in the pecking order, but not mean. My Speckled Sussex is sweet as can be, very friendly, but low in the pecking order. If you’re thinking of spunk when you say personality, my Buckeye is the winner, hands down. I call her my adventure girl. Curious, friendly... almost sort of beats her own drum sometimes. Gets along ok in the flock, though low in the pecking order.

I think it's just luck getting someone with "personality". When I had 3 australorps years ago, one had personality plus and the others were more "ordinary".
I have a lot of cross-breeds/mutts/easter eggers. I think they are more "diverse" than the straight bred ones who do seem 'sort of the same' - but perhaps that's more due to their similar appearance, I don't really remember who did what, they sort of merge into "one".
In my group of mutt bantams, some have personality and others not so much. One is an extremely pretty little girl, but she's got very little "personality" and she's low down on the pecking order. Another, although small, is the top chook.
I'd recommend cross-bred chooks, they are interesting in how they turn out.

Back
Top Bottom