A hen that harch her first egg cant walk

MayraR

Hatching
Apr 16, 2024
"I have a Bantham hen that has always been wobbly. She recently hatched her first eggs and is currently enjoying her time as a new mother. Although she eats and drinks fine, she cannot walk properly as she has been dragging one leg for quite some time now. After being broody for a month and having her chick, she has become unable to even stand up. I have checked for all possible health issues, but I could not find anything wrong. Has anyone experienced anything like this?"

"I have a Bantham hen that has always been wobbly. She recently hatched her first eggs and is currently enjoying her time as a new mother. Although she eats and drinks fine, she cannot walk properly as she has been dragging one leg for quite some time now. After being broody for a month and having her chick, she has become unable to even stand up. I have checked for all possible health issues, but I could not find anything wrong. Has anyone experienced anything like this?"
Did she leave the nest daily to stretch, poop, dustbathe, eat and drink properly?

Did you check her, her chick and the nest for poultry mites?
When did you last deworm her?

She might be in need of some vitamin additives as broodies can easily become nutrient deficient when eating too little

Did she leave the nest daily to stretch, poop, dustbathe, eat and drink properly?

She might be in need of some vitamin additives as broodies can easily become nutrient deficient when eating too

She might be in need of some vitamin additives as broodies can easily become nutrient deficient when eating too little
She did. And she has been dragging a leg for months , she has always been a bit weird. We did check for mites. Nothing on the nest. I honestly didn't think she will survived months after I saw her dragged a leg. But here she is with a chick eating and drinking and laying eggs

Dragging a leg might be from an injury or possible Mareks disease. How old is she, and was she vaccinated for Mareks? Have you ever had other chickens with lameness that was similar? I would give 1/2 tablet of human vitamin BComplex daily crushed in some food or egg, in case of a deficiency. Liver (just a little added to feed) is also good for B vitamins.

Dragging a leg might be from an injury or possible Mareks disease. How old is she, and was she vaccinated for Mareks? Have you ever had other chickens with lameness that was similar? I would give 1/2 tablet of human vitamin BComplex daily crushed in some food or egg, in case of a deficiency. Liver (just a little added to feed) is also good for B vitamins.
She is 18 mos, no other chicken died of the neck thing but long ago. I didn't vaccinate them.

Back
Top Bottom