A Heritage of Perfection: Standard-bred Large Fowl

Duane Urch and Mark Langerman have golden spangled.
The Book of The Hamburg by Theodore Hewes is probably the best literature on them.
Frank Baum also has a book on them. He wrote the Wizard of Oz .
The golden spangled should be identical to the silvers except the silver is replaced by gold.

The Book of The Hamburg by Theodore Hewes is probably the best literature on them.
The golden spangled should be identical to the silvers except the silver is replaced by gold.

Thank you. I knew of Frank Baum's book but I will have to look into Theodore Hewes' book as well.

Mark Langerman is listed on the breeders directory of the North American Hamburg Society webpage. I'm not sure how up to date it is but it says he "Will not sell chicks, eggs. Will not ship" and I've looked into Duane Urch's site as well but he only sells in multiples of 25. I'm not set up to house that many. My flock is very small and currently just a hobby but I'd like to learn all I can about the Hamburgs before phasing out my mixed flock and getting into breeding.

Quote:
Once you get into breeding you will find that 25 chicks is a bare minimum. And there is never enough coop space.
lol.png

Once you get into breeding you will find that 25 chicks is a bare minimum. And there is never enough coop space.
lol.png

Ain't that the truth! Almost finished with another large house and a couple of small ones and still need to build a few more single male housing units. Just hatched out a dozen chicks this week and as soon as the hens finish molting and get back to laying, will be collecting eggs for more hatching. We're somewhere over 50 chickens, maybe over 70, but I've just decided not to count for now. :)

Excellent, Heather. "Tis true what was said about breeding a 25 being but a drop in a bucket.

My recommendation is to get your chicks from Duane Urch. Langerman does not breed proper Goldens with proper tails. There was a movement in the 80s and 90s (I believe) to breed the black out of the Goldens' tails--which was always there and is a standard requirement; it is because the Goldens are based in eb+ as opposed to ER like the Silvers. Not only was it inappropriate, but it was very disruptive in the Hamburg community.

Best of luck!

Excellent, Heather. "Tis true what was said about breeding a 25 being but a drop in a bucket.

My recommendation is to get your chicks from Duane Urch. Langerman does not breed proper Goldens with proper tails. There was a movement in the 80s and 90s (I believe) to breed the black out of the Goldens' tails--which was always there and is a standard requirement; it is because the Goldens are based in eb+ as opposed to ER like the Silvers. Not only was it inappropriate, but it was very disruptive in the Hamburg community.

Best of luck!

Thank you! I've read other threads referencing Duane Urch and he seemed to be the most reputable person offering the rare heritage breeds I'm interested in and I had bookmarked his site a while ago as a source for chicks when the time comes.

Would you mind explaining eb+ and ER?

Last edited:
Here ya go:
The book of the Hamburgs : a brief treatise upon the mating, rearing, and management of the different varieties of Hamburgs
by Baum, L. Frank 1856-1919.
Published 1991
( republished in 1991 by Books of Wonder in New York )
Displaying 22 libraries for all 7 editions of this book:
http://www.worldcat.org/title/book-...different-varieties-of-hamburgs/oclc/24247411

Available online in reprint for very little money. Be careful when you buy reprints, some companies like Nabu Press do not comb the OCR for errors. Make sure you are buying an error free OCR copy.
http://partner2.addall.com/SuperRar...nd=True&StoreGutenberg=True&StorePowells=True
I have heard good things about HardPress Publishing, but always check with the seller to ID book quality. Why Are some of the "Books of Wonder" edition only 63.00 and some over 500.? Because in books, it matters to some where you buy the volume. In book circles, there are those will spend hundreds more for the same title/same quality bought from an esteemed bookseller instead of a small new shop.
---------------------
The book of the Hamburgs : all varieties -- silver and golden spangled, silver and golden penciled, and black and white ... / By Theo. Hewes ... Historical notes, by Dr. H.P. Clarke ...
by Hewes, Theodore, 1859-
Published 1902 edition
Read online :
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=umn.31951000404427t;view=1up;seq=11
--------------------
The book of the Hamburgs.
by Hewes, Theodore, 1859-
Published 1905 edition
Read online :
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=umn.31951000404427t;view=1up;seq=11
Best Regards,
Karen