A Mix of What? And how do I try to sex these? UGH!

10whiskers

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 28, 2014
Florida
Back again...
I have some Easter Eggers and pretty much know what to look for on deciding sex for those.

When I was at the egg farmer place, I wanted all Ameraucana's or Easter Egger's, that would possibly lay bluish or greenish eggs.
After I picked out about 8 of the chipmunk ones, the farmer asked if I would like chickens who would probably lay PINK eggs. I said I did and the black chicks started going into the tote. I did notice, that out of the black chicks, 6 of them had these mini combs at 5 days old. Here are three of the 5 week, 4 day old unknown (to me) chicks. Of the other 2 chicks (not pictured), one has a pea comb and so far a smooth, yet unknown flat cushion comb. The Father, pointed out to me by the farmer, had a deep, rust red neck with multi-colored tail feathers - a huge fellow! The list of what he had left were what I had to choose from: Buffs, Ameraucanas, Easter Eggers, Lavender Orpingtons (?), RIR mixed, but there were only 4 of the RIR mixed left.

What kind of chickens do you think these are and does the comb and wattles make the difference on what sex they might be? Also
most of these (with the combs and wattles) seem to be VERY curious, but skittish, too and seem to pick the most fights.

Above: Bird One

A

Above: Bird One Side view and inside a comment about the wattles on the sibling to the right.

Above: Bird One again from another view.

Above: Bird Two. I know it looks like Bird One, but it's not.

Above: Bird two in the background AND Bird Three.

What do you think these birds are if they look like this at almost 6 weeks and if there are any females who would lay pink eggs?
PS: I'm most interested in how to sex these birds, so if you'd happen to know that too...
Oh! They have a turquoise tint on most of their body.

They look like black sex links which you get by crossing a RIR and a barred rock. The hens are black with the reddish neck and chest feathers like that and the hens normally have pretty big combs. You can compare and judge for yourself, hope this helped!

X2 they look like black sex links. The last one is a cock and the first is a pullet.

So the larger and darker the comb and wattles, are probably males?

If that is true, the second bird, who almost looks identical to the first one is a pullet, too? I hope I'm reading this correctly.

I'm a newbie at chickens, but I can't have rooster's and tomorrow I'm going to take my possible rooster's to this lady. If she takes them all, I'll be happy, if not, it will be the first time I'll have
to send them to rooster heaven. I don't want to do it, but It's gotten too crowded and the other chicks will suffer if I don't thin the flock. =(

No I'm pretty sure they're all females. Only the females are black the males are black and white striped. They're called sex links because when they hatch you can tell the males from the female. Here's a pic of hen vs rooster:

I do not own this picture.

And the black sex link hens I've kept over the years all had enormous combs and wattles so that does not mean they're roosters!

Last edited:
Do not send the mistaken hens to rooster heaven! They're hens haha!!!
D.gif

Well, now I'm really confused. If these are black sex link, then wouldn't all the mostly black chicks be hens? If so, why did the OP say one was a cock and the other a pullet? (There were three birds in the pictures, but that's okay.)

I suppose I can call the farmer and ask if he has any Barred Rock (?) in his flock. Isn't that the cross. RIR and Barred Rock?
Is it possible there could be more breeds mixed in these birds?

At least I wouldn't be giving away perfectly good pullets. =)

Last edited:
So the larger and darker the comb and wattles, are probably males?

If that is true, the second bird, who almost looks identical to the first one is a pullet, too? I hope I'm reading this correctly.

I'm a newbie at chickens, but I can't have rooster's and tomorrow I'm going to take my possible rooster's to this lady. If she takes them all, I'll be happy, if not, it will be the first time I'll have
to send them to rooster heaven. I don't want to do it, but It's gotten too crowded and the other chicks will suffer if I don't thin the flock. =(
No the only bird I see that is a roo is the last one. His comb is much taller and bigger than any of the others.

Back
Top Bottom