A mystery

Snoozeys

Songster
Mar 14, 2015
Sydney
So i have a mystery .... i have 2 broodys sitting on eggs which are due anyday now ... so i walk out to the pens before and found a freshly hatched chick outside the boxes but no idea who owns it and no broken egg in either box !!!
So any hints as to work out who owns it ?????

At this point, I'd just see which hen wants him and figure out everything else later.

You could try candling the eggs to see which ones are closer to hatch. That way he's not ahead of his siblings.

In theory, the chick and the mother hen should know as they communicate prior to eggs hatching, thus recognising each other's vocalisation.

I guess you can try putting the chick with one hen, and seeing if it's accepted or rejected by the mother. If its the latter, then try the chick with the other hen. Be sure to observe for some time, if you choose this option.

I have put the chick with the hen closest ... i am waiting to see if either hen hatches out anymore chicks ... something odd i saw was the chick appeared to have a mark on its neck like it had been bitten ... i should have a clearer picture in the morning !!

Back
Top Bottom