A old camper Converted into a chicken coop? good idea? warm enough for winter months?

Shandina

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 25, 2017
Nova Scotia, Canada
We have a old 70's style camper and I was thinking we already pretty much gutted it out before because my husband and I used to sleep in it in the summer when we lived with our parents, so we gutted most of it and put a queen size bed in. Now for the last 8 years its been sitting with junk piled into it. I am getting some silkie chicken 4 or maybe 6 of them soon. We were going to fix up our old shed for them but it's going to cost a lot once we insulate it and replace what's rotten. So I thought why not repurpose our old camper? It's already insulated and big enough for the little guys and way cheaper. MY question to you guys is what do you think? a camper coop conversion? Would it be warm enough for them in the winter months? It has the ceiling wind up vent and lots of windows that fold open so I think we could get goo amount of ventilation without cutting any holes. If I did use it I like to make a wall on the inside to keep the chickens back from the doorway so they don't escape when I go in to clean and feed them. I was planning on using sand for bedding but I am wondering if it be too cold? maybe I should use pine shavings instead? and since it's October, would it be too late to use the deep litter method for winter with pine shavings? It will snow around December here and gets pretty cold. I was also worried if I only get 4 or 6 would the camper be too big for them to keep each other warm? Thank guys for your advise & help! I tried to attach a picture of the kind of camper we are working with!

camper.jpg

I would use it in a minute. Already has windows and likely a vent on top!

Gary
that's what I was thinking, it has vents, good lighting, and insulated. I just hope it's insulated enough so they don't freeze on me in the winter months. But it's the cheapest way I could go since already have the old camper. Just have to gutt it and build a run!

that's what I was thinking, it has vents, good lighting, and insulated. I just hope it's insulated enough so they don't freeze on me in the winter months. But it's the cheapest way I could go since already have the old camper. Just have to gutt it and build a run!

Well ventilated chickens out of a draft will not freeze. Perfect setup you have there.

Gary

yep I have been thinking about getting one to make into a coop.

you could make a huddle house for them to use if they want... my large fowl go into an old dog house if they are molting or it's -17f .. they are in a hoop coop w/no insulation.

And you have electrical outlets inside I am guessing if you plug in the trailer? Heated waterer...
Gary
it should be fine ...it will be warm in the winter ..just make sure you vent it some .
I wanted to use my moms trailer ...but my husband hated the thing so we built a coop instead .
you might want to put something more on the floor ( a sheet of Linoleum ?)
Let it gas for a while if it is new .
Remember that what ever bedding you use on the floor it will probably ruin it
sand for bedding - Some people like it some dont ( it is heavy when wet )
pine shavings deep litter method - Should be fine ..it wont decompose that much when frozen though . the trailer might be warm enough it might not even freeze in there

Back
Top Bottom