A sad week for our family. ETA:Thank you so much for the kind posts.

Sitka

Songster
10 Years
Jul 7, 2009
Seattle, Washington
My wife and I are big "cat people." It has been a rough week for us.
Our wonderful guy Scooter has been battling hyperthyroidism, kidney failure, and liver problems, and on Wednesday he had an apparent embolism. The vets could not do anything and we had to put him to sleep. I was with him and luckily it was very peaceful.

The day before that, we had learned that one of our other great guys, Billy Purr, had a large tumor in his abdomen. We knew it was terminal, but my wife is out of town and we were hoping he could hold on until she got back to see him. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. In the middle of the night he started going downhill and he passed away at home at 7 this morning. Luckily the vet had sent us home with some buprenorphine (pain killer) and he got several injections of that and was pretty "out of it" and (I hope and pray) did not feel much discomfort at the end.

Even though we have had losses before, it doesn't seem to get any easier. My wife and I are both sad and lost but also relieved that they are not in pain any longer. She feels terrible that she was out of town and did not get to see them. (She did talk and sing to them on the phone, which seemed to comfort them. Billy's favorite song is "You are my sunshine." Yes, really!) I am still in that stage of disbelief where I keep looking for them and momentarily "forget" (that's not exactly it, but you know what I mean...) what has happened. They are such a fixture in our lives. Scooter and Billy were brothers from the same litter. They were both 17 (and even though you know that an elderly guy is going to go, oddly enough, that doesn't make you feel much better.) My wife took in Scooter and Billy and their other brother Bold when they were kittens and she has had them all this time. (I married into a complete kitty family!). Bold and our other wonderful boy Little Bit are very down today, as you can imagine.

Just a brief intro to these wonderful guys.

Scooter: Orange tabby with one white "boot" on his leg and a white "beauty mark" on his cheek. A very serious and intelligent guy. We call him "the empath" because he is very sensitive to the well-being of everyone. One time one of the other cats was sick during the night and Scooter came into the bedroom and meowed until we woke up and went to see what he was "talking about." A comfort to have nearby.

Billy Purr: Billy was originally named Purr because he purred constantly. A happy-go-lucky guy. Also orange tabby, more rotund than Scooter. A real "boy at heart" -- funny, sweet, mischievous. Liked for you to massage his toes. (! ?) Could put a smile on your face anytime.

In short, my wife and I are very sad but blessed to have known these amazing guys. Sorry for the long post, but a lot on my mind and in my heart. Just wanted to share with the BYC "family." Thanks for listening.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for you both!

I too am a big cat person, the herd numbers 5 right now
wink.png
It's so hard when you lose one, let alone more than one in the same week. Sending hugs and prayers for you, your wife, and Bold too!

I am sorry for your loss. I actually have tears in my eyes reading your post. I love cats and had cats almost all of my live. But after having my children, I have found that my alergie to them has gotten worse and worse. I actually start to weeze and break out in hives if I don't take my meds for it. I would love to have some though.

I have lost lots of pets and every one's passing is unique. It is always hard to loose someone or something you love. And for me, as I see for you too, my pets are just my other children. I know some people say they are just animals. Fooy on them. Then they have no compassion.

I feel your loss. Please know that I am sending lots of hugs your way to you and your wife. Take care of Bold. He gets hugs too.

hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

I am sorry for your loss...it really bites...I lost a 12 year old dog last year and it truly broke my heart...she was 8th generation, slept in my bed...just the dearest...

hugs.gif
:hugs:hugs from us also; we are cat people too. It's so hard to lose them. Please know they have a lot of company to play with at the Bridge from our crew, & as long as you have all those good memories, they are never really gone, they are with you forever.

Back
Top Bottom