A Support Thread For Those Of Us Living In An Egg-Free Zone

It seems that I am about to adopt another non-laying hen. All 6 of her flock mates were slaughtered by a predator in one horrible night. The lone hen hid under the horse box and only came out 2 days later. She is completely traumatized. Her owner said she just wanders around the yard in a daze. This week, once my DH is home for hospital where he's having another brain surgery, the hen will come to live here. With my 6 hens I hope she finds peace, even if she never lays again.

I hope that everyone has eggs of their own "real soon now" though keeping chickens is reward in and of itself.

THE DROUGHT IS OVER
wee.gif

This afternoon's nest check came up with a well waited surprise. Two lovely brown Marans eggs nestled within the shavings all ready to be collected
smile.png

It seems that I am about to adopt another non-laying hen.  All 6 of her flock mates were slaughtered by a predator in one horrible night.  The lone hen hid under the horse box and only came out 2 days later.  She is completely traumatized.  Her owner said she just wanders around the yard in a daze.  This week, once my DH is home for hospital where he's having another brain surgery, the hen will come to live here.  With my 6 hens I hope she finds peace, even if she never lays again.

I hope that everyone has eggs of their own "real soon now" though keeping chickens is reward in and of itself.

Oh what a sweet thing to do :)

SNJchickens aaaw, poor girl; that is very sad that she lost all her flock mates.

She is very lucky to have you! I hope your hubby’s surgery goes well and his recovery is prompt.

WOOT WOOT Luke!

I always feel that adopting an animal that a lot of people see as disposable is a very kind thing to do, that at least some misery is alleviated.

That said, I actually do need the manure my animals produce, so although I STILL haven't seen any eggs, I don't mind so much :D

Congrats Luke. I'm still waiting for mine. I nearly brought an isa brown yesterday but decided I didn't feel like trying to integrate anyone else into the flock just yet. I'm hoping to see an egg by August when the youngest 2 reach point of lay

Back
Top Bottom