A Support Thread For Those Of Us Living In An Egg-Free Zone

Teila

Bambrook Bantams
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
Forrest Beach, FNQ, Australia
As I was looking at my Egg Spreadsheet and counting up the days since we last had an egg laid at Bambrook Bantams, I was thinking it would be fun to have a Support Thread for those of us living in an Egg-Free Zone.

I have seen the 'How Many Eggs Did You Get Today' thread but couldn't bring myself to type '0' for 46 days in a row!

Hopefully we can cheer each other on and celebrate when one of us breaks the drought.

So, how many days, weeks, months have you been egg free and why?

We have been egg free for 46 days because I was silly enough to fall in love with chickens that spend more time broody than they actually do laying eggs.

One of my gals went broody, I gave her some eggs and she is still being mumma to her two 8 weeks old chicks. She has not laid for 83 days.
Another of my gals went through a hard moult, she has not laid for 78 days.
One was broody and is now moulting, she has not laid for 69 days.
My little Frizzle was the only one laying an egg for a while there but she also decided to go broody and then moult, she has not laid for 46 days.

The race is on to see who breaks the drought .. at this stage, my money is on one of the two 8 week olds being the first to lay .. that means I only have approximately 3 more months to wait before seeing an egg that I did not have to buy at the supermarket
lau.gif
The eggs being purchased at the supermarket are to scramble and feed to the chickens .. yes, I see the irony
th.gif

It seems that I am about to adopt another non-laying hen. All 6 of her flock mates were slaughtered by a predator in one horrible night. The lone hen hid under the horse box and only came out 2 days later. She is completely traumatized. Her owner said she just wanders around the yard in a daze. This week, once my DH is home for hospital where he's having another brain surgery, the hen will come to live here. With my 6 hens I hope she finds peace, even if she never lays again.

I hope that everyone has eggs of their own "real soon now" though keeping chickens is reward in and of itself.

I can happily say I'm getting a nice quantity of eggs now, usually 4 a day. I actually had enough to be able to give my neighbour a dozen
woot.gif

Pointy eggs or round, we'll take 'em all!

Oh I'm so relieved to see this thread! I have 2 "gallina de campo" ie who knows what breed of chicken that I've had about 3 years, and 2 Brahmas that are about 1.5yrs. The last egg was a soft one laid by senior chook a good 2 months ago. They've all moulted and are looking fabulous. All that healthy food and none of it is going to make eggs!
Thanks for the solidarity!

Would one of those many buyers be Todd Pasfield?
Yeah I can understand with the blues. Was more talking about our Wheatens or would that assist in ruining the already rather poor egg quality?

Nope never heard that name Luke. My fw I'm pretty happy with the colour of Luke and sometimes sell some if I have excess.

Last edited:
Still got nothin' here in Chile. Winter isn't helping I guess.
I've started fermenting their feed and for the first time they are actually eating the layers' mix. So maybe, just maybe!

Back
Top Bottom