A wattle is starting to grow on my chicken

disduuuuuude

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2016
If you kinda dig in his or hers feathers then you'll see some tiny wattle, is it a boy? It's an American game chicken but I don't plan to fight it.

Last edited:

I wanted to get a wing shot because I know some people sex that way, but the dawn thing wouldn't sit still lol, but I hope this is good enough.

The wings aren't really an accurate way to sex chicks. Certain breeds can feather in differently (males and females), but you can tell by the comb/wattle growth and by saddle/hackle feathers.
Your chick looks like a pullet, but could use some better pictures :)

The wings aren't really an accurate way to sex chicks. Certain breeds can feather in differently (males and females), but you can tell by the comb/wattle growth and by saddle/hackle feathers.

Wait I thought the saddle and hackle feathers come in way after three weeks though. And also, does a pea comb developed slow? Sorry, just wanna make sure it's a pullet.

Well someone told me for American games, you can tell it's gender by the color of its wing feathers. You know if it starts to color in fast or not, or how clean it looks.

Wait I thought the saddle and hackle feathers come in way after three weeks though. And also, does a pea comb developed slow? Sorry, just wanna make sure it's a pullet.

They do come in later, so time will tell the gender of your chick for sure. Pea combs, in my experience, develop slower than normal combs.

Well someone told me for American games, you can tell it's gender by the color of its wing feathers. You know if it starts to color in fast or not, or how clean it looks.

Someone who is more experienced with Game birds may be able to help you more, but I'm leaning towards pullet.

Back
Top Bottom