Is this a normal comb & wattle size??

I live in Parksville, Kentucky. We have a big mountain behind us that hides the sun a lot of the time. This makes it even colder than in town. With the wind chill at times it can definitely get below zero. I usually buy several bales of straw to line the inside of my building with and put it around pretty thick on the floor. If it got bad enough, I could probably run a drop cord to my building and run a heater but I don't like doing that for obvious reasons. I had been building a new coop this past summer but I have a lot of back issues and I had to put a halt to it until spring. This way I would have two large coops. I'll post a pic of what I've done so far. I did it all by myself! 😁. I have a lot of work left to do but I'm going to put nesting boxes on the outside so it'll be more roomy inside. I got an inexpensive automatic door that opens when the sun comes up and closes when the sun goes down.View attachment 3680022View attachment 3680023View attachment 3680021
That is super nice. Well done.
I hope you can mend up and get it finished. 👍

Pretty much did the same thing. And you know I was pretty wary of Kong also until he got into a fight thru the hardware cloth with my other Roo and snapped his spur off at the leg. Having to carry him in everyday to rewrap his leg caused a bond that's unbreakable now it seems. I've accidently got face to face with him a couple of times and never once has he shown any indication of aggression. More curiosity than anything. Like... "Hey, whatcha doin'?" 🙂

Spur never grew back, been about a year now. And it's like his other one has stopped growing. I've never done any maintenance to either of his spurs.
You know, I've never had a lot of luck with my roosters in the past. I had a rooster that I named ducky, which is my profile pic, and he was really sweet and would follow me around everywhere and let me pick him up and pet him. When he started to come into his testosterone, I guess you could say, he got really mean and started attacking me. Nothing I did would change him. I would just stay away from him and wear my pants and boots so he couldn't hurt me when he would attack.
We had one rooster that viciously attacked my husband and spurred him in the calf. I immediately washed and cleaned the wound and treated it with antibiotic cream but despite that it became very infected and spread through his leg. My husband was in the hospital for 3 or 4 days receiving very strong IV antibiotics because he got a MRSA infection from it. You have to be very careful around them sometimes. They carry a lot of different bacteria on their feet and spurs.

That is super nice. Well done.
I hope you can mend up and get it finished. 👍
Thank you so much! I feel good about it because it's one of the things I've always wanted to do and just decided to do it. You might be surprised to know that I got a lot of my lumber came from a local distillery that is building new barns and they have a huge pile of wood that they just scrap. They let people come and get what they want. It's a wonderful way of saving money and reusing pieces that would be wasted. Some of the wood is super thick and I believe it is made of pine. It smells wonderful too!

Back
Top Bottom