About Coop Space

MadChickenMama

Songster
Apr 14, 2018
North Carolina
Major Edit:

I realized my mistake in my math, lol! I don't think I'm confused anymore.

Was trying to figure out exactly how big a coop needed to be for 4 Serama chickens and possibly a few extra from time to time. But I think I got it.

Last edited:
Ok so I'm going to *try* and make this short and to the point.

I'm planning on getting Seramas. They'll be in my yard as my sister is at capacity for hers according to county rules. We would like to have 4; one rooster and 3 hens.

My sister has a nice doghouse her hubby built years ago that's been sitting unused for quite some time and she said we can use that for the coop. I haven't measured it yet, though.

I saw a thing saying for small breeds it's best to have 3sqft/bird in the coop. However, my sister's coops for her 6 regular-sized hens seems to do well for them and I don't think it's as big as 4sqft/bird like I've seen suggested. They free range during the day, though. They are happy chickens and don't seem cramped. I am wondering a bit about exactly why so much space is needed.

I mean, I'll follow the suggestion, but I always like to have a better understanding of things. Also because on the chance I end up with more Seramas than we want to keep, I'd like to have the space just in case, but I fear maybe the Seramas may be too cold if I give the 4 we want to keep too much space for "just in case".

I'm not sure I'd even keep our kept ones outside at night anyway. I'm a bit on the overprotective side and probably would never feel like my chickens would be safe enough. As it is I plan in building them a decent sized run as I don't feel good enough about letting them free in my backyard (which is pretty big and fenced in, but it's chain link and my sister's cat likes to wander around in my yard sometimes and he's big on hunting small birds, he does fine with the big chickens, though). And the run would be big enough to allow me a small bench to sit on so I can visit with the chickens during the day.

Oh and the just in case is because we want 4 chickens; one rooster and three hens, so if we end up having to raise some before we can give them new homes I want to know I have enough space.

Sorry if this makes no sense, lol. I'll answer any questions to clarify if need be.
We don't know where you are located and it matters. I lost a BR to a hawk when they were ranging free, even though they had a run. So if you have critters, then covering the run may help. As far as the rest, someone else can guide you better than I. Congrats on the chickens!

We don't know where you are located and it matters. I lost a BR to a hawk when they were ranging free, even though they had a run. So if you have critters, then covering the run may help. As far as the rest, someone else can guide you better than I. Congrats on the chickens!

I guess it's southeastern NC. Inner coastal area. It gets hot in the summer, perfect temps for Seramas. Winter time not so much but I have a nice storage room with linoleum and an attached bathroom with a window they can stay in during colder times.

The run would be covered. I'm looking into building something like what I drew in the picture. I don't trust my backyard to allow the Seramas to free range, as much as I'd like them to do so.

Attachments

• 20180510_082729.jpg
    20180510_082729.jpg
    533.8 KB · Views: 6
I guess it's southeastern NC. Inner coastal area. It gets hot in the summer, perfect temps for Seramas. Winter time not so much but I have a nice storage room with linoleum and an attached bathroom with a window they can stay in during colder times.

The run would be covered. I'm looking into building something like what I drew in the picture. I don't trust my backyard to allow the Seramas to free range, as much as I'd like them to do so.
A lot of people here (NC) fudge the SF in the coop requirement and do just fine since they rarely actually confine the birds to the coop...That's what I've noticed looking around. They have a run, at least 10x10, and take various steps to predator proof it, and the birds only roost in the coop. I have 5 birds in what amounts to a 15 sf coop...They have access to a second 15 sf coop but pigpile into one roost at night...But the top is covered with HC and the HC apron is almost done, and I still want to secure the door a bit more but at some point, you can't keep obsessing about every possible contingency.

The Hoop Coop you drew would be a great, economical solution. Put the dog house in it, cover half the coop with the tarp, and be on your way. Plenty of room for the birds to forage and be protected, etc...

But, if you plan on confining the birds to the dog house for any amount of time, you ought to look at something bigger. How big is the dog house? Are we talking Beagle Sized, Lab Size, or St. Bernard Sized?

A lot of people here (NC) fudge the SF in the coop requirement and do just fine since they rarely actually confine the birds to the coop...That's what I've noticed looking around. They have a run, at least 10x10, and take various steps to predator proof it, and the birds only roost in the coop. I have 5 birds in what amounts to a 15 sf coop...They have access to a second 15 sf coop but pigpile into one roost at night...But the top is covered with HC and the HC apron is almost done, and I still want to secure the door a bit more but at some point, you can't keep obsessing about every possible contingency.

The Hoop Coop you drew would be a great, economical solution. Put the dog house in it, cover half the coop with the tarp, and be on your way. Plenty of room for the birds to forage and be protected, etc...

But, if you plan on confining the birds to the dog house for any amount of time, you ought to look at something bigger. How big is the dog house? Are we talking Beagle Sized, Lab Size, or St. Bernard Sized?

The dog house is maybe big enough for a large labrador. I haven't measured it yet as I keep getting busy.

If the Seramas are confined to the coop it would just be for sleeping during summer months.

The area outside the coop will be big enough to give the Seramas plenty of roaming space, plus space enough for me to sit and visit with them.

The idea is to grow some climbing plants over one end for shade and whatnot, plus they'll have shade under the actual coop. If I need to tarp one end I'll definitely do that. And I've been looking at all the predator proofing stuff. Like I need to fix the hole in the yard's fence as I know a raccoon visits me often and then yesterday a snake ate the eggs of some wild finches that had nested in my carport roof so I know that thing is still around. And something got one of my sister's chicken the other week. Probably a fox. And I see some hawks from time to time.

The dog house is maybe big enough for a large labrador. I haven't measured it yet as I keep getting busy.

If the Seramas are confined to the coop it would just be for sleeping during summer months.

The area outside the coop will be big enough to give the Seramas plenty of roaming space, plus space enough for me to sit and visit with them.

The idea is to grow some climbing plants over one end for shade and whatnot, plus they'll have shade under the actual coop. If I need to tarp one end I'll definitely do that. And I've been looking at all the predator proofing stuff. Like I need to fix the hole in the yard's fence as I know a raccoon visits me often and then yesterday a snake ate the eggs of some wild finches that had nested in my carport roof so I know that thing is still around. And something got one of my sister's chicken the other week. Probably a fox. And I see some hawks from time to time.
Your hoop coop drawing's a good bet then. Or, if you can get a carport affordably, that eliminates the need to secure the roof. Secure the run, not the yard, unless your yard is tiny...You'll never secure a yard without spending a ton of money. Also look into an electric wire. People say they work really well for all types of terrestrial varmints.

I will tell you that they'll need shade before the vining takes place, probably more than the elevated coop can provide. A tarp, large-ish folding table, something...Maybe Serama's are way different but I notice my birds panting in the sun if they don't have shade and cool water.

I live in Carteret County, NC, and we've got a boatload of smaller predators. Hawks especially have caused me problems. Since seramas are small birds, even Cooper's hawks could probably take one. Raccoons, snakes, rats, foxes. There are bobcats around (I see the roadkills) but I've not seen one in my yard, thankfully. I've had a possum come into my run twice (while it was open--I let them free range in the enclosed backyard during the day), but it wasn't able to do anything to them. My guess is it was going for eggs. Good luck!

Your hoop coop drawing's a good bet then. Or, if you can get a carport affordably, that eliminates the need to secure the roof. Secure the run, not the yard, unless your yard is tiny...You'll never secure a yard without spending a ton of money. Also look into an electric wire. People say they work really well for all types of terrestrial varmints.

I will tell you that they'll need shade before the vining takes place, probably more than the elevated coop can provide. A tarp, large-ish folding table, something...Maybe Serama's are way different but I notice my birds panting in the sun if they don't have shade and cool water.

Lol Yeah, I do mean to put some over top for now since the plants will take a while.

Oh and yeah can't secure a yard completely but there is a gapinh hole under the fence in the vacant property next door and I'd rather not make it super easy for the raccoon to get in. Just gonna cover the hole with some wire and fill it in some. But all predator proofing will be done on the coop and whatnot, definitely.

Last edited:
Coop will need shade and ventilation if you expect them to sleep in there.

When I hear coop, I think of the enclosed box that also includes the nesting boxes, not the wired in area. The coop will have ventilation, regardless of whether they sleep in there or not.
Their run area will have shade either by tarp or something else.

Back
Top Bottom