About Ducks with Chickens ...

Momma_Cluck

Songster
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
N. West Michigan
Read many posts that folks have a few ducks in with their chickens...without a lot of issues.

All I would like to ask is-- for those of you who successfully do this without free-ranging...what feed do you use that allows both to eat it without heath issues, so I can look for it... have been offered 3 Indian Runner Duck babies (Hatched today) and want to be sure they are ok in with the chicks!!

We have three pekin ducks with chickens, at first they ate poultry starter feed, then as they grew older we changed it to cracked corn and scratch ( our chickens and ducks don't get along, though ), I hope I've been some help.
CW

Last edited:
I kept 4 mallards with18 chickens for years. They ate crumbles and scratch and kitchen scraps. They seemed to enjoy lettuce, celery leaves, grass etc. They also laid one egg a day.

Quote:
You are only feeding them corn and scratch?

No, that just what they have in their feeder, everday though we take out treats and bread and they also have plants and bugs to eat as well.

Last edited:
I have 13 Call ducklings, around 2 months, 5 adult call ducks, and about 15 chickens all together in a 21'x24' (i think) dog kennel. They get along great. I have not had one problem. I even had baby chicks in their with them and they are fine. They do great together, and I think they enjoy eachothers company.

Quote:
You are only feeding them corn and scratch?

No, that just what they have in their feeder, everday though we take out treats and bread and they also have plants and bugs to eat as well.

Ducks should NEVER have bread, when combined with the amount of water they drink, the bread will swell up in their stomach, and could kill them.

I keep all my ducks and my chickens together. I normally don't have babies down on the ground so I feed them all a mixture of cracked corn, laying pellets, and scratch. But when babies are on the ground I cut out the corn and scratch and replace it with chick starter, so its just chick starter and laying pellets. Has always worked for me.

The only problem I find with keeping ducks and chickens in together is the "rogue" males you may have (chickens) tend to pick, and mate with the easier catched ducks.

Back
Top Bottom