Abscessed tooth in my chick.

I have a very pressing question....

What happens if the poor bird with the tooth ache swallows some DE?

I think it happened, I am finding glass like poop, or do I have a different medical emergency?

Ok, I have just gotten back from my coop........ I must be a bad Chicken Mama, none of my chickens have a single tooth!!
1f633.png
Please don't tell me that they all needed dental care and I didn't even know it?
1f62d.png

It could be too late now, if you could not find a single tooth in any of your chickens it has progressed to chicken gum disease. I have no idea what to do now for them.

You might be forced to pre-chew all the feed for the chickens for them.

I would think the honorable thing to do would be find an animal control officer or humane society and turn yourself in, I suggest you not fight the charges and throw yourself on the mercy of the court. Animal neglect is a serious offense.

I am so ashamed!!!! But, animal control around here would say someting like, " it is only a dang chicken! They don't need no dang teeth! "

Do you think I should start massaging all their gums in the morning?

Last edited:
This thread has me so worried about my chickens dental heath, which I have neglected for some time now. Do you think she looks okay?
That is a fine specimen, keep up the good work! For tooth abcesses, as well as the gum disease "gingivitis", I heard it helps to add four cups of Listerine per gallon of water, and then just bath them in it. Of course, I've never had to try this since all my birds see the family dentist for regular checkups, and have gorgeous, pearly whites! However, I do have an older hen with dentures that I have to bath in Polident frequently (what a pain, it would be nice if those dentures were removeable).

Last edited:
You know dental care doesn't come cheap. I think Delta doesn't cover major work, partials, crowns, root canals, implant - till the policy has been in effect for 12 full months. If you bird is young enough it may cover braces etc. Try using those dental rinses for gum disease etc. that may be the real problem. Deep gum pockets. I don't even want to go there
sickbyc.gif

I've often wondered, too, Enola. I do know that this thread shed some much needed light on a serious issue that hasn't been talked about enough. In the absence of hearing any updates on this poor chick, at least we have the comfort of knowing that we may have saved countless other chicks and chickens from costly, painful dental treatments. I had a gold cap put on two of Agatha's front teeth because I spotted a problem after reading this thread. When she's culled, I plan to remove the caps and re-purpose them on any future chickens that might need them.

Back
Top Bottom