Added eggs while incubating - update: all 6 ducklings hatched and younger egg in incubator

I cleaned the brooder but they just went to eat and now the walls are covered in food again
roll.png
I think I'm going to need those puppy training pads because everything is wet
barnie.gif

Their faces are very pretty the golden-yellow is so nice

Last year Donsje had 2 nests but none of her ducklings survived. There's big fish in the ditch and magpies so they all got eaten
sad.png

I hope my ducklings will hang out with Donsje when they're bigger
big_smile.png

You can read all you want about ducklings and their messes but it never quite compares to living it, huh? Lol. I was told and told and read how messy, but I was still amazed! And how fast they grow! If you can get a pie pan or something under the water, it helps some. And water and food as far away from each other helps keep the mess down a little too. If they have to travel between the two, they don't seem to slop it back and forth as much.

Adorable pics, congrats on your little beauties!

Yes I read they were messy but I expected them to be more quiet on their first days. Instead they're running around and jumping on the heating plate. They're standing in the food and water and shake their head when drinking so there's splatters everywhere on the glass. My dad wants the house to be clean but these little rascals don't know what that is
idunno.gif

I'll put them in a guinea pig cage tomorrow, the waterer I bought will also fit in there. Hopefully things will get a little less messy then
hide.gif

Thank you! despite the mess I'm very happy with them
jumpy.gif

Yes I read they were messy but I expected them to be more quiet on their first days. Instead they're running around and jumping on the heating plate. They're standing in the food and water and shake their head when drinking so there's splatters everywhere on the glass. My dad wants the house to be clean but these little rascals don't know what that is
idunno.gif

I'll put them in a guinea pig cage tomorrow, the waterer I bought will also fit in there. Hopefully things will get a little less messy then
hide.gif

Thank you! despite the mess I'm very happy with them
jumpy.gif

Hate to break it to ya, but that's just ducks. Trust me, it's gonna get worse, LOL! They're kinda like human kids, sweet and adorable, but messier than a pig in filth and twice as happy.

The guinea pig cage has a plastic bottom that's like half a feet high.. the rest is bars. I'm going to need a good water system.. Or a better brooder!
th.gif

But they're so sweet yes!

With my silkies last summer I used rabbit bottles so they couldn't drown and get it dirty. But I don't know if you could do that with ducks

With my silkies last summer I used rabbit bottles so they couldn't drown and get it dirty. But I don't know if you could do that with ducks

Nope, they need some way to stick their whole heads in the water to clean their nares. Rabbit bottles and nipple waterers don't provide that, unfortunately.
hit.gif

No ducklings have to clean their nostrils in the water so they can't have a drinking bottle. And I'm sure animals prefer drinking from trays, it's easier

Ducks need to be able to submerse their bills completely, to clean out the nostrils. They get a mouthful of water, then shake their heads and splatter it everywhere!

Back
Top Bottom