Adopting a dog... but I'm a "bird person" now!

rugbyrebel

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2013
Southern Ontario, Canada
I have the opportunity to adopt a beautiful, well behaved, low prey-drive dog who has been fostered by a family member and I've gotten to know quite well. However, I'm having such strange, conflicting feelings about it because of my chickens. I love my chickens so much and don't want to take attention or money away from them. I've been trialing the dog for a week and it's been going well, I do appreciate having indoor company that likes to cuddle. At this point, I love the chickens way more than the dog (don't have a bond yet with the dog). I was actually thinking of taking a break from keeping chickens for a while once my current flock passes on because it's been tiring taking care of everyone, worrying about them and not having full freedom. But now that I'm considering getting a dog, adding that new responsibility... I'm thinking about how many more chickens I could keep with the time/money instead! I'm just curious, can anyone relate to these feelings or this experience? Do you successfully manage both dogs/chickens and bond with them both? I really like this dog and I think he will fit in the family but I'm feeling anxious that I'll regret it/won't find it rewarding or not bond with him since I'm a fully fledged "bird person" now (pun intended?).

For some background: If you asked me 10 years ago what my favorite animal was, I would say "dog" and I would label myself a "dog person". I grew up with dogs and worked for a dog rescue for several years. The last dog I personally owned was 15 years ago. I was devastated when she died and grieved a long time. I always loved farm animals and decided to care for chickens instead of getting another dog. I thought chickens would be easier, less expensive and less stressful. I quickly realized that wasn't the case and I've spent a lot of time and money on my flock the last 10 years, giving them the best of everything... fancy coop, treats, vet care. Despite the time/money/stress, I find it so rewarding caring for them. I enjoy just watching them for hours in the summer or hanging out with them when I read a book. Chickens/birds are now my favourite animals and I love visiting other people's chickens too. The last couple years I was starting to not like dogs very much (in a general sense) because of issues with neighbours. So many irresponsible dog owners were letting their dogs run loose in the neighbourhood. I had a few close calls for dog attacks.

It took me a year before I let my dog out alone with the chooks. Now I feel she guards them. Please be careful with both dog and chooks. It just takes one time, and the dog will get the taste. Which in turn causes problems with the new dog going after other flocks if you should choose to not have chickens anymore.

I absolutely don't want that to happen! This particular dog has a very low prey-drive and pretty much ignores them (through the fencing) which is nice because he doesn't obsessively want to go to the backyard and go after them (like my parent's high prey-drive dog when she visits) but I don't think I'd ever feel safe mingling. Since it's winter, the chickens aren't free ranging (they don't like the snow) and locked up tight so I've been able to let the dog loose in yard to run. In the summer he'd be supervised on a long lead or not let in the backyard unless it's early morning/after dusk and the chickens are in the coop. He can go out front or be exercised through walks/dog park.

I think if you like the dog, go for it! But if you’re not sure you want a dog then of course maybe not. But I wouldn’t be worried about the attention thing. I had both dogs and chickens for a long while and was able to provide enough love and time and everything to them all. I even had a cat, fish, and budgies too. At one point I had quail too. I found there’s plenty of love and time for all. Nowadays I just have the cat, dog, and budgies, but some day I will get chickens again. I found the chickens pretty easy to care for so they didn’t take away from the dog or vice versa.

What occurs to me immediately with your dilemma is how different we all are. For me there is such a huge difference in reward that comes from dog vs. chickens. I do love my chickens but not even remotely on the same level as my dogs. So what kind of dog is this? If you're not yet bonded with the dog does that mean it's not the right dog for you? You owe it to yourself to get the dog that makes your heart pound. Many breeds can be trained to "be nice to chickens." Literally that is how I train mine. "Be nice to chickens" is a command. My dogs come with me to lock them up at night and sometime's they'll step into the coop while I'm closing up feed. The chickens are not at all scared of them, they are well behaved even though they are not GSD, they are Leonberger's with mouth's bigger than the chickens. So the point is that peace is highly possible. I know some people treat chickens like they are cuddly and they come in their homes but it's not as typical as you get to love the chickens outside and you get to love dogs inside. Mine allow me to sleep in my bed wherever I can fit. They are soulmates as opposed to farm animals that I'm fond of. I just can't imagine life without my dogs but I totally can imagine having no chickens.

What occurs to me immediately with your dilemma is how different we all are. For me there is such a huge difference in reward that comes from dog vs. chickens. I do love my chickens but not even remotely on the same level as my dogs. So what kind of dog is this? If you're not yet bonded with the dog does that mean it's not the right dog for you? You owe it to yourself to get the dog that makes your heart pound. Many breeds can be trained to "be nice to chickens." Literally that is how I train mine. "Be nice to chickens" is a command. My dogs come with me to lock them up at night and sometime's they'll step into the coop while I'm closing up feed. The chickens are not at all scared of them, they are well behaved even though they are not GSD, they are Leonberger's with mouth's bigger than the chickens. So the point is that peace is highly possible. I know some people treat chickens like they are cuddly and they come in their homes but it's not as typical as you get to love the chickens outside and you get to love dogs inside. Mine allow me to sleep in my bed wherever I can fit. They are soulmates as opposed to farm animals that I'm fond of. I just can't imagine life without my dogs but I totally can imagine having no chickens.

I certainly didn't think it was possible to love chickens more than dogs but that is what happened for me, haha. I suppose it's because I spent the last 10 years exclusively keeping chickens so I poured all my love and attention into caring for them... but if I had a dog during that time (or my old dog) it might have been different. The first chicken I ever bought became my real "soulmate" chicken and she just died last year at 10 years old. I definitely felt in tune with her vocalizations and personality, as if she was a dog I was bonded with. I don't bring my chickens into the house except for health care. I do spend hours outside with them in the summer. Several of them sit on my lap and are a bit cuddly but definitely no where near dog cuddly... it's definitely rewarding in a different way to have a dog that interacts so intensively with me.

The dog is a standard poodle. The only reason I'm considering adopting him is because I do love him and he has a great personality. I had been thinking about getting a dog for a while but probably wouldn't be actively pursuing it if he hadn't come up for adoption! That might be part of my problem and why I'm anxious... it's a lot of pressure to adopt him now or let him go to a different family and accept that. The bond must be growing as I don't really like the idea of letting go!

I have both, dog and chickens, of course it is even more responsibility for you, on the other hand, it is also more “rewarding” for you too, they have different personalities, a dog is always glad to see you, even if you don’t have something to eat in your hand, what I really enjoy about chickens is that they are pets with benefits!

*hugs* Just an observation, but it seems that you bond very, very deeply and grieve a long time for your animals. I think this is a beautiful trait! (this is absolutely not criticism in any way!) However, this might be the reason you don't feel bonded quite yet (even though it does sound like you still very much care about this dog). You are still grieving a fresh loss and perhaps it is just muting your other feelings right now. You sound like such a dog person, and already having so much experience under your belt, if there's nothing actively telling you this dog isn't right for you, I think your feelings will bloom with time. Is it possible to get an extension with this dog or even "foster" it yourself until you feel more certain?

I have the opportunity to adopt a beautiful, well behaved, low prey-drive dog who has been fostered by a family member and I've gotten to know quite well. However, I'm having such strange, conflicting feelings about it because of my chickens. I love my chickens so much and don't want to take attention or money away from them. I've been trialing the dog for a week and it's been going well, I do appreciate having indoor company that likes to cuddle. At this point, I love the chickens way more than the dog (don't have a bond yet with the dog). I was actually thinking of taking a break from keeping chickens for a while once my current flock passes on because it's been tiring taking care of everyone, worrying about them and not having full freedom. But now that I'm considering getting a dog, adding that new responsibility... I'm thinking about how many more chickens I could keep with the time/money instead! I'm just curious, can anyone relate to these feelings or this experience? Do you successfully manage both dogs/chickens and bond with them both? I really like this dog and I think he will fit in the family but I'm feeling anxious that I'll regret it/won't find it rewarding or not bond with him since I'm a fully fledged "bird person" now (pun intended?).

For some background: If you asked me 10 years ago what my favorite animal was, I would say "dog" and I would label myself a "dog person". I grew up with dogs and worked for a dog rescue for several years. The last dog I personally owned was 15 years ago. I was devastated when she died and grieved a long time. I always loved farm animals and decided to care for chickens instead of getting another dog. I thought chickens would be easier, less expensive and less stressful. I quickly realized that wasn't the case and I've spent a lot of time and money on my flock the last 10 years, giving them the best of everything... fancy coop, treats, vet care. Despite the time/money/stress, I find it so rewarding caring for them. I enjoy just watching them for hours in the summer or hanging out with them when I read a book. Chickens/birds are now my favourite animals and I love visiting other people's chickens too. The last couple years I was starting to not like dogs very much (in a general sense) because of issues with neighbours. So many irresponsible dog owners were letting their dogs run loose in the neighbourhood. I had a few close calls for dog attacks.
I have the same kind of history and feelings going on. you are not alone.

I personally cannot Imagine my life without a dog. I have had dogs my entire life showing breeding training, and now just as companions I ran a dog rescue as well. Although I truly enjoy having my birds, there will never be a substitution for not having a dog. With it my current dog, I honestly did not think I was survive the first two years with her, as she is a typical diehard border collie who gave me a run for my money, and that says a lot with all the breeds that I’ve had over the years. But now I cannot imagine my life without her. She is the first dog in my almost 60 years who gets to sleep on the bed. She is wicked smart, and I’ve been able to teach her multiple words and give commands by just a whisper which is quite fun. The only other breed that has come close is a golden retriever that I had that passed away from cancer. I think that those of us who love our animals will always have a place for more in our hearts.

Back
Top Bottom