ADOR1 Automatic Coop Door?

Does anyone know how the Ador1 reacts to shade? Our run is 6 feet tall and the top is netted, however, we have a tarp on one end of the run to give the chickens some shade. The tarp is not directly over where the door would be installed, but does slightly block some sunlight to it. Is the door so sensitive that it will affect the door opening and closing? That is one of the factors I will consider before purchasing the Ador1. Any help/input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Mine is in full shade. If I had to guess, it probably opens a little later and closes a little earlier, but it hasn't been a problem for me. The first few nights, a few chickens were left outside, but I opened it back up for them and they haven't been left out for over a month. Mine are always waiting by the door for it to open for them to get out in the morning. Frankly, they would be waiting a lot longer for me to get there to let them out, so it is wonderful that the door opens like magic for them! :)

I am new to chicken, just 3 months in at this points So I'm learning a lot, I've changed my coop/run twice and I'm making plans for my next version.

At this time and probably until next spring, I have a 30" x 28" house raised above a run and connected to a larger run. My house does not have a door, just an opening an I know I'll need some kind of door for Minnesota winter nights. The current hole is 7" wide by 9" high and there is only a safe 10" from the top of the door to the roof so do I need to install an Ador1 door horizontally?

Then, since my at first skeptical husband has grown fond of these silly birds, he is agreeable to helping me build a new 4x9 foot coop/run in our garage this winter so if I get an Ador1, I will want to uninstall and reinstall it on the new house in the spring. Is that possible and will it stand up to that kind if movement?

Mine is in full shade.  If I had to guess, it probably opens a little later and closes a little earlier, but it hasn't been a problem for me.  The first few nights, a few chickens were left outside, but I opened it back up for them and they haven't been left out for over a month.  Mine are always waiting by the door for it to open for them to get out in the morning.  Frankly, they would be waiting a lot longer for me to get there to let them out, so it is wonderful that the door opens like magic for them!  :)

I often wonder if the chickens think they 'willed' the door to open in the morning with their wishful thinking. Lol. They go stand in front of the fermented bucket and the Chunnel door too, so maybe they are trying to 'will' these to open too.

I am new to chicken, just 3 months in at this points So I'm learning a lot, I've changed my coop/run twice and I'm making plans for my next version.

At this time and probably until next spring, I have a 30" x 28" house raised above a run and connected to a larger run. My house does not have a door, just an opening an I know I'll need some kind of door for Minnesota winter nights. The current hole is 7" wide by 9" high and there is only a safe 10" from the top of the door to the roof so do I need to install an Ador1 door horizontally?

Then, since my at first skeptical husband has grown fond of these silly birds, he is agreeable to helping me build a new 4x9 foot coop/run in our garage this winter so if I get an Ador1, I will want to uninstall and reinstall it on the new house in the spring. Is that possible and will it stand up to that kind if movement?

I don't know if the ADOR opens horizontally, but I am sure it can be moved after installation without an issue. It is simply screwed in position with four screws.

Thank you. Their website does say horizontal is an option, but now I'm wondering if I will need to put it inside or if I'll need the extra light sensor. The roof overhangs the door hole by at least 50%.

Thank you. Their website does say horizontal is an option, but now I'm wondering if I will need to put it inside or if I'll need the extra light sensor. The roof overhangs the door hole by at least 50%.

If you mount it inside I bet you are going to need the light sensor since you have quite a bit of shade there. Mounted outside would probably work fine because others have said that some shade just slightly alters the open and close times.

Back
Top Bottom