ADOR1 Automatic Coop Door?

I think it all depends on the features you're looking for and what you value more, time or money. I work full time and I'm pretty busy even on my off hours so time is valuable to me. That antenna might just be 5 dollars but if I added up the hours and gas spent finding a junk yard, looking for the part, and then looking for the other parts to make it work (power source, wire nuts, wire, timer, all of which I'd probably just buy new at the hardware store to save time) we're getting way past 5 bucks. Then there's the time and lumber or sheet metal to actually build a door to use it on. Plus the time to put it all together and rig it up so it looks tidy (a must for me).

After all that it still doesn't have some of the features that I'm looking for like running on a battery, the option to add a remote switch outside the coop, or automatically adjusting the open/close time with the changing of the seasons.

This isn't to knock it or say it's not a good idea, because frugal options are always appreciated and I love DIY projects. Everyone's coop and scheduling needs are unique, so the antenna door might be perfect for some (money over time) but the ADOR1 is perfect for me (time over money).

I'm looking forward to cutting a hole in the coop, screwing it on, throwing a battery in it and having a glass of tea.
big_smile.png

I rationalized the cost as- Would you pay someone $3.85 a week (or 55¢ a day) to let your chickens out each morning and lock them back in again at night, without fail? I would. And after the first year you wouldn't need to pay it anymore but still get the same service
smile.png

I think it's peace of mind and money well spent.

And I think it was 2 weeks from the time I ordered it until it showed up at the door.

Last edited:
Not trying to thread-jack, but I just can't see spending so much money when you can make one from a old car antenna from a junk yard for $5 bucks.

Here's a link to the one I made in July. It works like a charm. Also in the thread are 2 youtube videos of it in action.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...a-radio-antenna-from-a-junkyard#post_11919410

I think it all depends on the features you're looking for and what you value more, time or money. I work full time and I'm pretty busy even on my off hours so time is valuable to me. That antenna might just be 5 dollars but if I added up the hours and gas spent finding a junk yard, looking for the part, and then looking for the other parts to make it work (power source, wire nuts, wire, timer, all of which I'd probably just buy new at the hardware store to save time) we're getting way past 5 bucks. Then there's the time and lumber or sheet metal to actually build a door to use it on. Plus the time to put it all together and rig it up so it looks tidy (a must for me).

After all that it still doesn't have some of the features that I'm looking for like running on a battery, the option to add a remote switch outside the coop, or automatically adjusting the open/close time with the changing of the seasons.

This isn't to knock it or say it's not a good idea, because frugal options are always appreciated and I love DIY projects. Everyone's coop and scheduling needs are unique, so the antenna door might be perfect for some (money over time) but the ADOR1 is perfect for me (time over money).

I'm looking forward to cutting a hole in the coop, screwing it on, throwing a battery in it and having a glass of tea.
big_smile.png
I see both sides.

Ordered mine today does anyone know how long it is taking right now to get the door? I am order #1935

Can't wait

Hi all.... I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced a sort of "pulsating" action from their door either upon opening or closing or both ? My door seems to "pulsate" or "jump" a but when it goes up or down - it doesn't seem to be a smooth opening or closing but rather jumpy. Also, this evening when I went out to check on the girls, I noticed that just after they got in the coop the door closed and a couple were left outside, no big deal as I rounded them up and gave the ADOR a quick push of the green button to open it; as it was opening, I noticed the pulsating action but I also noticed that the door really seemed sluggish when it go about halfway up. It actually opened all the way but seemed as though the battery was starting to die because it was like the door was struggling at about halfway up. The door had only been installed a couple of months and the battery was bought new at the store the day of the install. The door was installed on July 6/13 so I can't imagine it being the battery although I guess it's possible to have a bad battery. Has anyone else been experiencing the same issues ? Thanks !

I had planned to try this door in a small coop, with the door being underneath the roost. I am concerned about a potential draft through the holes in the door into which the socket gears travel. Has anyone resolved this issue?

Yeah, that's exactly my concern. Probably have similar weather to you, here in IL, so I too worry about the draft through the holes in the winter. Also, the door is just metal and isn't really sealed, so lots of air around the edges too. Unfortunately, I didn't think about that when planning the coop, so the roost is right over the door.

I was thinking maybe I could hang some sort of sheet in front of the door on the inside. Maybe the chickens would push through it like a dog door? I have no idea if they would do this.

But I have the same drafty concerns you do, Schroeder.

I'm also wondering if the track will ice up in the winter. I guess we'll see! In the worst case, I'll stop the automatic door during the winter, throw some insulation to cover up the door hole on the inside, and let the chickens out manually through the people door.

If anyone else has any bright ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Hi all.... I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced a sort of "pulsating" action from their door either upon opening or closing or both ? My door seems to "pulsate" or "jump" a but when it goes up or down - it doesn't seem to be a smooth opening or closing but rather jumpy. Also, this evening when I went out to check on the girls, I noticed that just after they got in the coop the door closed and a couple were left outside, no big deal as I rounded them up and gave the ADOR a quick push of the green button to open it; as it was opening, I noticed the pulsating action but I also noticed that the door really seemed sluggish when it go about halfway up. It actually opened all the way but seemed as though the battery was starting to die because it was like the door was struggling at about halfway up. The door had only been installed a couple of months and the battery was bought new at the store the day of the install. The door was installed on July 6/13 so I can't imagine it being the battery although I guess it's possible to have a bad battery. Has anyone else been experiencing the same issues ? Thanks !
I wonder if something is jammed in the track, or the track is bent somehow, creating friction against the drive mechanism?

I had planned to try this door in a small coop, with the door being underneath the roost. I am concerned about a potential draft through the holes in the door into which the socket gears travel. Has anyone resolved this issue?

Yeah, that's exactly my concern. Probably have similar weather to you, here in IL, so I too worry about the draft through the holes in the winter. Also, the door is just metal and isn't really sealed, so lots of air around the edges too. Unfortunately, I didn't think about that when planning the coop, so the roost is right over the door.

I was thinking maybe I could hang some sort of sheet in front of the door on the inside. Maybe the chickens would push through it like a dog door? I have no idea if they would do this.

But I have the same drafty concerns you do, Schroeder.

I'm also wondering if the track will ice up in the winter. I guess we'll see! In the worst case, I'll stop the automatic door during the winter, throw some insulation to cover up the door hole on the inside, and let the chickens out manually through the people door.

If anyone else has any bright ideas, I'd love to hear them!
Is the door facing the prevailing wind?
Might not be an issue, you do need ventilation in winter and I can't imagine that that much wind would come in thru those holes unless you live in a very windy place and the door is facing the prevailing winds.

I wonder if something is jammed in the track, or the track is bent somehow, creating friction against the drive mechanism?

Hi aart... It doesn't seem to act that way as much when it is closing, only upon opening. I'll have to check and see if the door/track is bent or if something is jammed in it. Although it has been installed since the first of July and didn't seem to act like this so I can't see that it is bent as there is no way for anything to bend it as the door is installed in a recessed fashion and nothing can get at it to cause it to be bent. I'll have to try a fresh battery to see I can rule that out as a cause and go from there. If anyone else has experienced similar issues please let me know.

Back
Top Bottom