ADOR1 Automatic Coop Door?

Thank you for posting pics of this installation. I'm seriously considering this door. Due to the access into our run, it needs to be installed so the door slides open on the inside, not outside. It definitely makes for a cleaner look from the outside, too.
Since this door came out a couple of years ago, I'd appreciate comments from you and any others who've had for a while if they're still happy with it. I'd install mine with the light sensor and program it for the girls who mosey into the coop at night.

So Cal, I have been very happy with the ADOR from day 1. It's never failed to close at night, and only failed to open when it's been frozen shut from sleet freezing about 1/2" thick on the whole unit. It's been installed since September 2013 and the original $3 battery is still in operation. The spare battery I bought for just-in-case is getting awfully dusty on the shelf.

Before setting up timers with lights, etc. try the different settings the come with the door. It's very easy to program. When I got mine, I thought I would need the LATE CLOSE setting too. Before installation I changed the programming, and after watching it for a few days, I reset to the default factory settings and haven't touched it since.

My door has been on my chicken tractor out in open weather for about 10 months now. It's been through 110F down to single digits, snow, sleet, rain, and half-dollar size hail and it's still reliable every day.

I'll be building 1-2 new chicken tractors soon and they'll be equipped with ADOR's as well.

Cheers and let us know what door you eventually go with and how it works.

Thank you for your reply Colburg. I read through this entire thread yesterday. We're coastal, and it rarely dips below 40 so freeze won't be an issue. It seems more about making sure your wood isn't warped, and not screwing it in so tight. By and large, like you, people are satisfied, (some ecstatic) and the chickens appreciate being let out when the sun rises. Rod is responsive to issues, which is the best scenario with any manufacturer and gets high marks in my book. I'll talk to my coop builder today before purchasing (we've got an unusual site), but I think it's absolutely the way for us to go. We travel quite a bit and this will keep the girls and the house sitter happy. Thanks again. And thanks to everyone who noted issues, offered solutions/fixes, and for updating your posts when the problem was solved. This is a wonderful community.

Just thought you might like another opinion.
We installed the Ador door about 3 weeks ago. The only problem we have had was our fault. We accidently turned it on manual. But once we had it on automatic, it has worked perfectly. I also was impressed with the customer service. I have not yet tried to program it yet, so I can't speak to that. I did a lot of research before purchasing. I liked the gear mechanism. Simple and straightforward. I also liked the idea of using a battery. No worry about power failures.
Good luck.

I've emailed this company repeatedly and haven't heard back. I would look elsewhere.

Have you checked your junk mail folder for a reply? I emailed back and forth with Rod a few times with no problem.

I've had the Ador1 for less than a week now, but I have to say I'm very happy with it. Even with heavy shade over my coop, the girls are let out with sunrise (which makes us all happy, since that means I'm not woken up by the girls screaming at me to let them OUT already) and they don't have to wait for me to drag my butt out of bed. The first night they did get locked out of the coop. I'm thinking the cause was heavy cloud cover that came in at dusk that cut the daylight sooner than the girls expected. No problem, I just tapped the door open, they all hopped in, and I tapped it closed again. Next day I programmed it for "open early/close late) and haven't had any more problems with that. I really appreciate that it runs on a battery instead of having to run electricity to the coop, or rely on a solar powered cell that wouldn't be able to run in the heavy shade.

Great point. I get a LOT of junk mail...even after unsubscribing! So I'll go back through and look again.

I'll share an update. I got my door last fall and initially I had a few issues, but things seem to be stable now for many months. Ultimately loosening the screws just a hair or perhaps it was just a battery replacement, but the only trouble I have now is when the hens just decide to sleep outside and I don't notice. My coop is secure enough that it's not a problem, and I'm sure they regretted it the last time when there was a horrendous thunderstorm overnight and they were locked out.

I've emailed this company repeatedly and haven't heard back. I would look elsewhere.
welcome-byc.gif
I'm sorry you've had this problem. Have you found another kind yet? This is one of those things that get done last for me.
lau.gif
First the run and cover.

Back
Top Bottom