ADOR1 Automatic Coop Door?

Got my door yesterday and installed it that night! The girls were very unhappy with me cutting the metal barn siding with a sawzall in the coop, but they'll get over it. My hole cutting wasn't so pretty but the recessed installation looks great. Going to have a bbq tonight and unleash the hens!

Spent the weekend observing the door, it opens and closes at the correct times. I have noticed it judders a little on the way down, I'm going to take a level to it and make sure it's plumb to see if I can clear that up.

Spent the weekend observing the door, it opens and closes at the correct times. I have noticed it judders a little on the way down, I'm going to take a level to it and make sure it's plumb to see if I can clear that up.

The door looks great !

I too had that same issue with the door "jumping" both upon opening and closing... here's what Rod told me to do via email and my door seems to not have that "jump" to it anymore - it now seems to operate more smoothly upon opening and closing. Try the shim thing with the washers and it may cure your problem:

"A few questions/comments:
* What happens if you take off the cover? Does it lessen?
* With the cover off, can you press downward on the "floor" of the battery box near the motor to try and rock the motor down which will pull the sprocket away from the door panel a little bit? Now operate the door and observe. Does it seem to affect it?
* Try loosening the two lock-nuts (5/16" nut driver) inside the battery box on the left side a few turns and then pry the battery box on the left side about 1/16" or so away from the frame...then operate the door. Does that lessen the "jumping"?

If it seems like maybe it gets better when you try pulling the battery box away a little bit, then please try this. Get a few flat washers (say for a #6 screw) and stack one each on the top left and bottom left stud. (or some other means of shimming). You will notice if you remove the two lock nuts on the left side, you should be able to pull the battery box off the left studs just enough to get a washer on each stud. Then put the box back and put the nuts back on. You have "shimmed out" the left side of the box. Notice there's already a plastic spacer on the top stud. It needs that spacer to be able to hook the cover on the top of the battery box. If this doesn't quite do it, try two washers.

I hope this is a simple fix for you. I'm not sure where this is coming from but it is either not caught in final checkout before shipping, because we test with the cover off and the cover tightens things up when it is on... or the ADOR gets squished in shipping, which very slightly distorts the frame shape, caving in a tiny amount and making the sprocket stab too deeply into the door.

Please give this a shot and tell me the results."

Good luck and let us know how you make out !

Last edited:
Our Ador1 door has been working just fine for 3 1/2 months, but today it didn't open all the way.

When I went out to give the chickens some scratch feed I noticed the door was only open about ½ way. I pushed the button, and it lowered without incident. I pushed the button again, and it began to open. It opened half way without incident, but then it slowed and I could here the motor straining. The bottom side opposite the sprocket holes began to shudder a bit, but it did open all the way. I lowered it again without incident. Upon opening again, the same thing occurred. It opened half way as usual, but then slowed and I could hear the motor straining again…and the slight shuddering began again. It did eventually open all the way.

I know it is probably just an adjustment, but I don't want to start messing with it blindly, so I wrote to Rod for his advice. I'll also read back through this thread since I remember others having similar problems and their door needed adjustment, too.

Still a great door!

I remember the fix had something to do with the metal shifting a bit when the cover was replaced......
....I wonder if falling temps may move the metal a bit too. Good Luck with your fix Moon.

Ah, you may have something there, aart. I didn't think of possible contraction of the metal with these lower temps. It was down in the 30's last night. I'm sure this glitch will be a temporary thing fixed by a minor adjustment.

Back
Top Bottom