0ddaudd

Chirping
Jan 10, 2020
Hey! So I'm about to be a parent of a few day old Rhode Island White chicks and a Pekin duck. I just wanted to hop on here and ask for some basic advice. I know the chicks should have a heat lamp of around 99-100 degrees the first few days, so what is the best lamp y'all have used? And what other precautions should I take regarding food and water temp? I already have a large tuber ware filled with soft aspen bedding and a corner with cut strips of felt and other fabric to imitate "mama bird". Thanks so much for the advice! I'm both nervous and excited for the new birds.

Your duck needs a ducky friend. They get very lonely. My Pekins friend just passed and she’s extremely stressed out. Chickens don’t cut it for their companions. And the duck also needs niacin. It’s very very important and you can end up w a duck that has leg issues or even worse a dead one.

Your duck needs a ducky friend. They get very lonely. My Pekins friend just passed and she’s extremely stressed out. Chickens don’t cut it for their companions. And the duck also needs niacin. It’s very very important and you can end up w a duck that has leg issues or even worse a dead one.

Thanks! I actually bought some niacin as well because I raised a Pekin duck awhile back. He was a few weeks older than my new birds are going to be. I currently have a year old female Cayouga mix, we're unsure of what breed she is mixed with. We recently had to rehome her drake friend because he was too aggressive with my chickens. So I got her a female friend that way she isn't lonely anymore!

I know the chicks should have a heat lamp of around 99-100 degrees the first few days, so what is the best lamp y'all have used?

a corner with cut strips of felt and other fabric to imitate "mama bird".

Not sure about ducks but that's too hot for chicks. Most guides say 95 degrees the first week but I think something closer to 90 is better.

Personally not keen on heat lamps (I have one on hand just in case) but my main complaint with them is the normal bulbs sold at feed stores are simply way too hot. Reptile bulbs are a better option and come in lower wattages.

Felt should be ok, but be careful with any fabric strips that there's not any loose threads that can be eaten, tangled around necks, feet, beaks.

My experience with heat lamps is to watch how the chicks behave. If they’re all clustered together directly underneath it, they’re cold and it needs to be lowered. If they’re all spread out as far from it as they can get, they’re too warm and it needs to be raised. I’ve had success with the ones they sell at the feed store. I use a large brooder with the lamp at one side so that there’s a good heat gradient from one end to the other.

I have only ever used heat lamps.
I used the large heat bulb once and it was way to hot so i just use regular household bulbs and switch to lower watages as they grow.
Starting with a 100 or 75, ending with a 40 when they are outside.
I am not in the habit of raising and lowering my lamp as it is clamped and wired in place for safety. It stays put,
And i use bulb size and adjust my top brooder cover for heat adjustment.

Back
Top Bottom