Advice needed on "Curing" a Pheasant Skin...

texascowboy1979

Songster
10 Years
Aug 14, 2009
Texas - Best Place on Earth
Last night my birds were doing fine all up in there roosts... and this morning one of my Lady Amherst Males was pecked to death.. I think it was the turkey... and I know I should have thought about it better... but I put a pair of turkeys in the pen so that the male would breed the female turkey... not taking into account my pheasants.... so... needless to say..

I LEARNED MY LESSON!!!

so I took out the turkeys... which... again... im sorry for being so Stup*d...

I skined the pheasant and put his skin in the fridge while Im at work and do some research... How do you CURE the skin... some say salt.. but that gets me no where.... ideas... thanks.

You can use pure iviry soap, or egg whites to do that. If you just want to preserve it, you can let it air dry in a cool dry place as long as no fat or anything is on the skin.

My boss(taxidermist) uses borax for mounting birds(except waterfowl, too much grease on those for that method). Scrape any grease from inbetween feathershafts etc. Turn the wings inside out as much as you can and remove bone and meat and then rub the borax into it really well.

Back
Top Bottom