Advice needed

lilonesmom

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 16, 2014
I have some 2 month old chicks that are in their own pen inside the chicken coop. When I got home today one of them was inside the coop with my adult hens, and her skin is missing from the top of her head to the bottom of her neck. We believe it might have been a chicken hawk that grabbed her and dropped her in the coop. Can't think of any other way her skin could be completely ripped off by about a 2" length. I have her in a box in my garage now by herself. What is the best medicine to use on her to keep out infection while it heals?

Last edited:
I have some 2 month old chicks that are in the own pen inside the chicken coop. When I got home today of of them was inside the coop with my adult hens, and her skin is missing from the top of her head to the bottom of her neck. We believe it might have been a chicken hawk that grabbed her and dropped her in the coop. Can't think of any other way her skin could be completely ripped off by about a 2" length. I have her in a box my garage now be herself. What is the best medicine to use on her to keep out infection while it heals?

Coat it good with triple antibiotic ointment, I believe you are supposed to use the kind that does not have a pain reliever in it. Do you have any oral antibiotics to mix in her water? Duramycin or enrofloxin? One of these couldn't hurt. Keep her away from the others they will want to pick at it. keep her warm and dry and make sure she is eating and drinking. They have amazing healing abilities.

Triple antibiotic is right, but first irrigate the wound with 50/50 peroxide and water or betadine/water. Keep bird away from all others until scabbed over. After, you can put blu kote on to hide the wound from the other birds. Unless you see or smell infection, don't be too quick with antibiotics. Why, is a whole other thing.
smile.png

Triple antibiotic is right, but first irrigate the wound with 50/50 peroxide and water or betadine/water. Keep bird away from all others until scabbed over. After, you can put blu kote on to hide the wound from the other birds. Unless you see or smell infection, don't be too quick with antibiotics. Why, is a whole other thing.
smile.png
Don't mean too highjack, just a quick question. My pullet comb was torn by cockerel I cleaned it, did betadine/water and antibotic ointment, I was planing to just watch is there anything else I need to do at this point.

Don't mean too highjack, just a quick question. My pullet comb was torn by cockerel I cleaned it, did betadine/water and antibotic ointment, I was planing to just watch is there anything else I need to do at this point.

Not really. you're doing fine. They get little things like that often, a peck here a scratch there, ect. You could try Rooster Booster no pick lotion if anyone is picking at the scab.
smile.png

Not really. you're doing fine. They get little things like that often, a peck here a scratch there, ect. You could try Rooster Booster no pick lotion if anyone is picking at the scab.
smile.png
She is by herself now. I tried to introduce them for breeding and she wasn't having it. I guess I'll let her heal before trying again. he's fine with the other pullet.

Sry! Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Triple antibiotic is right, but first irrigate the wound with 50/50 peroxide and water or betadine/water. Keep bird away from all others until scabbed over. After, you can put blu kote on to hide the wound from the other birds. Unless you see or smell infection, don't be too quick with antibiotics. Why, is a whole other thing. :)

How often do you recommend cleaning it with the 50/50?

How often do you recommend cleaning it with the 50/50?

If you are using peroxide, just once. You can use betadine/water mix or saline after that (even just clean warm water). Peroxide can burn new tissue. Whenever the ointment wears off, clean wound again and re apply triple antibiotic until there is a good scab on the wound. Give it a day or two to dry out then you can use the blu kote.
smile.png

I have some 2 month old chicks that are in their own pen inside the chicken coop. When I got home today one of them was inside the coop with my adult hens, and her skin is missing from the top of her head to the bottom of her neck. We believe it might have been a chicken hawk that grabbed her and dropped her in the coop. Can't think of any other way her skin could be completely ripped off by about a 2" length. I have her in a box in my garage now by herself. What is the best medicine to use on her to keep out infection while it heals?
I'm sorry your bird was injured. Thanks for your questions. It helped me as well.

Back
Top Bottom