Advice on Aggressive Rooster -- Keeps Going After All Of Us Including Young Kids

As I have stated on multiple threads since I joined BYC, the meanest rooster I ever had was a White Leghorn that I called Satan. He had been an adorable Easter chick that was dyed green (yes they did this 50+ years ago). It was a happy day when a predator took him.

I've been in the rooster crazy bin and will never go there again. We had one for 2 and a half years because my son was bonded with him. I had to carry one of those giant planter bases to use as a shield and could only use one hand for two years outside. Then we finally culled him. My son picked tail feathers and put them in a frame. However, this rooster had already fathered another and this summer that one started in with the same aggression. So sad because they have an awesome life free ranging and having a harem and all. Anyway, here is the son...

Attachments

• 20200620_192558.jpg
    20200620_192558.jpg
    613.5 KB · Views: 14
However, this rooster had already fathered another and this summer that one started in with the same aggression. So sad because they have an awesome life free ranging and having a harem and all. Anyway, here is the son...

Another reason to eliminate a bad rooster. Don't allow them to breed because that nasty streak is frequently genetic. There are nice roosters. No good reason to tolerate a bad one. You may have to go through a few bad apples to find that good one but it can be done. Some breeds are inherently evil as well. I had a very pretty ameracauna rooster that I swear was retarded. Very sweet personality. I have 2 ayam cemani roosters now that aren't even a threat to the dogs here let alone people or little kids.

Hi everyone,

Our White Leghorn, Roosty, turned rotten this spring. He goes after all of us, especially my three year old son. He's drawn blood several times on my son, husband and I, and once it was running down my son's hand. He pecked my one year old daughter on the cheek(!). We have almost three acres. That seems like plenty of space but no. He will come from across the yard after any of us (me, hubs, and kids - 9, 7, 3, 1). He sneak attacks me when I have the side door down and am leaning all the way inside the coop to scoop poop on the far side. He runs up from behind and attacks when I am carrying water buckets, poop buckets, food, bedding, etc. He's so dirty about it!

I have tried hitting him with a stick to get him away (eventually very hard because it hurts when he pecks and I am tired of bleeding!) and avoiding him (often he comes from across the yard to get us). Once I hung him upside down with rope in the run door for a bit. Then I put him in solitary in the very small enclosure I use for transitioning chicks before they join the flock. I let him out after a few days but once it got warm a couple days later he was back to pecking. Back to solitary, for about a week. I started feeling sorry for him and let him out. The moment he got out he pecked me, I gave him space and a few minutes later he attacked from behind when I was bringing the full waterer into the big run. I threw him back in solitary and there he remains. Food, water, shelter but alone. I feel sorry for him -- he truly is pathetic.

Some background: we added four chickens that hatched in my daughter's kindergarten class to our rainbow flock last last year, along with 15 pullets from the local feed store. The four turned out to be White Leghorns, three roosters and one pullet. Roosty is the last one standing; the other three succumbed to either disease or predators.

I have 15 four week chicks in the brooder, including two new roosters -- an Americana and Wellington, to go with my 12 grown hens.

Can his behavior be corrected? I honestly think I am done, just wanted to ask if anyone has any other suggestions.

I have friends that have offered to teach me how to slaughter and process him -- I've always wanted to learn and it's a good opportunity. I hate giving up on any creature, even a jerk of a rooster. Have I tried everything? Is it ok to let him go? My kids shouldn't be afraid to go outside and play, and I'm afraid he's going to peck my daughter's eye out.
I think roosters generally have a bad rap, and do believe in second chances, but I also believe that humans were created in God's image and are more valuable than even chickens. He's been given every chance, you've tried to train him through punishment, but he isn't learning. You have two new roosters on the way. Get rid of him and see how your new roos turn out.

As I have stated on multiple threads since I joined BYC, the meanest rooster I ever had was a White Leghorn that I called Satan. He had been an adorable Easter chick that was dyed green (yes they did this 50+ years ago). It was a happy day when a predator took him.
Maybe dying him green contributed to his bad behavior? Just saying, chemicals and dye all over ones body cannot be good for one's health, mental and otherwise.

Maybe dying him green contributed to his bad behavior? Just saying, chemicals and dye all over ones body cannot be good for one's health, mental and otherwise.
I have thought that might be the culprit but I had another one at the same time that was dyed blue and he was not aggressive at all. But then again, blue is a calmer color. ;)

After more than 20 years I came to the conclusion that some roosters are just too dense to differentiate between a real danger and the care taker and thus just not worth the effort or trouble, no matter how beautiful or rare their breed might be. They serve best as a nice dinner.

Poultry keeping is supposed to be a positive experience and not cost a daily effort to even get near them, always having to fear the next assault.

Back
Top Bottom