Advice on Aggressive Rooster -- Keeps Going After All Of Us Including Young Kids

DixxieChick

Chirping
Jun 20, 2019
Southern Indiana
Hi everyone,

Our White Leghorn, Roosty, turned rotten this spring. He goes after all of us, especially my three year old son. He's drawn blood several times on my son, husband and I, and once it was running down my son's hand. He pecked my one year old daughter on the cheek(!). We have almost three acres. That seems like plenty of space but no. He will come from across the yard after any of us (me, hubs, and kids - 9, 7, 3, 1). He sneak attacks me when I have the side door down and am leaning all the way inside the coop to scoop poop on the far side. He runs up from behind and attacks when I am carrying water buckets, poop buckets, food, bedding, etc. He's so dirty about it!

I have tried hitting him with a stick to get him away (eventually very hard because it hurts when he pecks and I am tired of bleeding!) and avoiding him (often he comes from across the yard to get us). Once I hung him upside down with rope in the run door for a bit. Then I put him in solitary in the very small enclosure I use for transitioning chicks before they join the flock. I let him out after a few days but once it got warm a couple days later he was back to pecking. Back to solitary, for about a week. I started feeling sorry for him and let him out. The moment he got out he pecked me, I gave him space and a few minutes later he attacked from behind when I was bringing the full waterer into the big run. I threw him back in solitary and there he remains. Food, water, shelter but alone. I feel sorry for him -- he truly is pathetic.

Some background: we added four chickens that hatched in my daughter's kindergarten class to our rainbow flock last last year, along with 15 pullets from the local feed store. The four turned out to be White Leghorns, three roosters and one pullet. Roosty is the last one standing; the other three succumbed to either disease or predators.

I have 15 four week chicks in the brooder, including two new roosters -- an Americana and Wellington, to go with my 12 grown hens.

Can his behavior be corrected? I honestly think I am done, just wanted to ask if anyone has any other suggestions.

I have friends that have offered to teach me how to slaughter and process him -- I've always wanted to learn and it's a good opportunity. I hate giving up on any creature, even a jerk of a rooster. Have I tried everything? Is it ok to let him go? My kids shouldn't be afraid to go outside and play, and I'm afraid he's going to peck my daughter's eye out.

No, he has to go and will likely be mean to a new owner. Maybe not. But who knows. Get him processed..That's all you can do, sorry. I'm curious, did you pet him and coddle him too much when he was a little chick?

Hi everyone,

Our White Leghorn, Roosty, turned rotten this spring. He goes after all of us, especially my three year old son. He's drawn blood several times on my son, husband and I, and once it was running down my son's hand. He pecked my one year old daughter on the cheek(!). We have almost three acres. That seems like plenty of space but no. He will come from across the yard after any of us (me, hubs, and kids - 9, 7, 3, 1). He sneak attacks me when I have the side door down and am leaning all the way inside the coop to scoop poop on the far side. He runs up from behind and attacks when I am carrying water buckets, poop buckets, food, bedding, etc. He's so dirty about it!

I have tried hitting him with a stick to get him away (eventually very hard because it hurts when he pecks and I am tired of bleeding!) and avoiding him (often he comes from across the yard to get us). Once I hung him upside down with rope in the run door for a bit. Then I put him in solitary in the very small enclosure I use for transitioning chicks before they join the flock. I let him out after a few days but once it got warm a couple days later he was back to pecking. Back to solitary, for about a week. I started feeling sorry for him and let him out. The moment he got out he pecked me, I gave him space and a few minutes later he attacked from behind when I was bringing the full waterer into the big run. I threw him back in solitary and there he remains. Food, water, shelter but alone. I feel sorry for him -- he truly is pathetic.

Some background: we added four chickens that hatched in my daughter's kindergarten class to our rainbow flock last last year, along with 15 pullets from the local feed store. The four turned out to be White Leghorns, three roosters and one pullet. Roosty is the last one standing; the other three succumbed to either disease or predators.

I have 15 four week chicks in the brooder, including two new roosters -- an Americana and Wellington, to go with my 12 grown hens.

Can his behavior be corrected? I honestly think I am done, just wanted to ask if anyone has any other suggestions.

I have friends that have offered to teach me how to slaughter and process him -- I've always wanted to learn and it's a good opportunity. I hate giving up on any creature, even a jerk of a rooster. Have I tried everything? Is it ok to let him go? My kids shouldn't be afraid to go outside and play, and I'm afraid he's going to peck my daughter's eye out.
Look up hypnotherapy for chickens. I tried that for my rooster and it has worked wonders. Right now it’s breeding season and roosters are especially aggressive right now. But there’s a whole bunch of videos on how to hypnotize chickens. I started doing that with my rooster and he no longer attacks us. I used to have to do it every day but now I only do it once a week. With a rooster I had a few years ago I used to do that box method. I put him in a box in a dark room for a few hours each day to disorient him, and then let him back outside. There are whole bunch of things you can do. They sound absolutely crazy but they work.

He goes after all of us, especially my three year old son. He's drawn blood several times on my son, husband and I, and once it was running down my son's hand. He pecked my one year old daughter on the cheek(!)

Right after his first move/attack towards a child I would have culled him. He would not had the chance to even get near my children or try it twice.

With children being attacked I would not even think about "rehabilitating" and less giving an aggressive rooster to somebody else, as other peoples children should not be attacked or loose an eye or else also.

As a chicken owner it is your responsibility to prevent any harm that might be inflicted by your overaggressive animal and take the necessary precautions. Right away!

Last edited:
LaFleche, I don't take offense. You're right.

I hate giving up on any creature. I hated hitting him with a stick, made me feel like a bully because I'm so much bigger. Once he goes after me he won't stop, whether I face him or walk away he keeps coming until I hit back. I've taken to keeping sticks outside the back door and by the run.

He seems frantic, angry, scared, crazy. Is it possible that his breed is damaged from the huge confined animal feeding operations (cafos)? I believe in cell memory and I wonder if all the decades of mistreatment in factory farms ruined some of their bloodlines. I don't want to write it off, especially if I made a mistake in raising him. It's just something I considered.

BroodyCluck, I don't think we held him too much. He had many broodermates and he wasn't one of the favorites. Can holding a rooster too much make him go bad?? That seems counterintuitive, but I am no expert.

There is so much I don't know. We had chickens and all manner of animals when I was a kid, but I am relatively new to being the adult in charge of chickens. I'm only 1.5 years in.

LaMontelle, thank you for the suggestion. If my kids were teenagers I would try it, but I'm so worried he's going to take an eye.

Banty, I'm going to read the link on roosters in your signature after the kids go to bed. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

The biggest thing I want to learn is why he turned and what I can do differently with future roos. It hurts to think I made a mistake in raising him and he has to die for it. What should I do differently with my young cockerels?

You need to get rid of this fella ASAP! People say you can, but I do not believe you can re-hab a mean rooster. He's a danger to you and most importantly your KIDS!!! If you can't bear to cull (kill) him, give him away, sell him to the feed store, anything! NOW!!
I've only had one mean rooster, Cody and he was the spawn of Satan. My other roos have been great. Gentle, eat from your hand and great with the hens. I don't think it's the way they are raised so much as general breeding and temperament. Good Luck! :hugs

Cody's look small (2).jpg

He's dangerous, and needs to be in the crockpot somewhere, and never get another chance at anyone!
Cockerel behavior is both dependent on genetics and management, and your bird is impossible!
Hitting him carrying him around, whatever, won't fix this guy.
If you haven't raised cockerels before, you may have missed early signs of things to come, and the real danger to your children. Some cockerels will be fine, and managing them makes a difference. Others will be jerks no matter how they are raised!
For the future, and your new cockerels, there are good articles about rooster behavior on this site. @Beekissed and @Shadrach , for example, and there are others.
My plan is to not make pets out of the cockerels, they need to keep out of my space always. I walk through the flock, and they must move away, because I never walk around them. I don't carry them around, or hand feed treats, or have uninvited physical contact. I don't think it's 'cute' if a bird jumps on me, unless invited!
Small children generally are difficult around the birds, because they tend to run around, wave their arms, and scream; normal for little kids, and not so good with roosters! There's still no way that a rooster should attack that child, it's about priorities; bird, or eyeball? No choice!
Mary

The rooster has to go. Not so much because his behaviour couldn't be corrected, but because you and your keeping circumstances are not suitable for dealing with roosters.
If you've got to the point of abusing him then he'll never forget. They are like dogs in this respect.
You don't say how long you've been keeping chickens. I suspect for not very long.
Further advice, is you write you have two likely cockerels on their way. Plan on getting rid of them as well.
Children and untamed animals are never a good combination. It gets forgotten that while the chicken may have been domesticated that doesn't mean they are tame.

Back
Top Bottom